Forum Stats

• 3,851,439 Users
  • 2,263,978 Discussions
  • 7,904,707 Comments

Discussions

BIServiceAdministrator role is gone after migration

Hi experts,

I installed OBIEE 12.2.1.2.0 on our dev server. At that time, weblogic user had a role BIServiceAdministrator assigned to it.

After that, I did migration of catalog and rpd from 11g to 12c (using the normal process which is given here)

However, after the migration, I can't see the BIServiceAdministrator role in the em anymore. Because of this, the weblogic user has lost all the Administrative rights.

Can you guys please advise me what should I do to get the BIServiceAdministrator back? Or if you have any other advise, please let me know.

Thanks,

Vishal

Tagged:
johngarmon3365160Vishal NLChristian Berg-0racle

Best Answer

• Christian Berg-0racle
    Christian Berg-0racle Everything Analytics And Data Member Posts: 9,671 Gold Crown
    edited May 17, 2017 3:44AM Answer ✓

I always found this suggestion supremely misleading. Why recreate the old names when going forward it's not "BIAdministrator" anymore but "BIServiceAdministrator".

You can use the runcat command to replace role names in the webcat and the BI server command line to do the same thing in the RPD. jazn-wise it can be a very simple rename inside the file (if you're doing it solidly) or otherwise WLST with aen export, rename and the re-grant.

This way you end up with a nice 12c-style security landscape.

johngarmonVishal NL

Answers

• Syedsalmancs110
    Syedsalmancs110 Member Posts: 268 Bronze Badge
    edited May 17, 2017 3:22AM

In my experience when you perform a migration from 11g to 12c then out of the box BIEE 12c application role gets overwritten with BIEE 11g application roles.

But if your migration was successful and your 11g Catalog is in place now in 12c environment then you shouldn't be facing Administrative access missing issue as security on catalog now should be same as 11g given that you had followed below mentioned step post migration:

In below mentioned link under section "3 Post-Migration Steps for Oracle BI EE" Sub Section "3.6 Adding Roles and Permissions"

https://docs.oracle.com/middleware/12212/lcm/BIMIG/GUID-5C43110F-0009-426B-83E5-1586215A174E.htm#BIMIG-GUID-A25792E5-38C…

So in your OBIEE 12c environment

a) In Weblogic Console create Groups BIAdministrators, BIConsumers and BIAuthors

b) Now make sure that your Admin User 'Weblogic' is part of BIAdministrators(as this was the default Admin Application Role in 11g) along with  Administrators Group and verify that this BIAdministrators Group is part of BIAdministrator Application Role

c) Restart your BIEE Services(OBIPS1,OBIS1,OBIJH1 etc) and retest your access.

johngarmon3365160Vishal NL
  • Christian Berg-0racle
    Christian Berg-0racle Everything Analytics And Data Member Posts: 9,671 Gold Crown
    edited May 17, 2017 3:44AM Answer ✓

I always found this suggestion supremely misleading. Why recreate the old names when going forward it's not "BIAdministrator" anymore but "BIServiceAdministrator".

You can use the runcat command to replace role names in the webcat and the BI server command line to do the same thing in the RPD. jazn-wise it can be a very simple rename inside the file (if you're doing it solidly) or otherwise WLST with aen export, rename and the re-grant.

This way you end up with a nice 12c-style security landscape.

johngarmonVishal NL
  • Syedsalmancs110
    Syedsalmancs110 Member Posts: 268 Bronze Badge
    edited May 17, 2017 3:53AM

There is no need to recreate old Application Roles only the Groups as it isn't taken care by the migration process.

Not completely my suggestion mentioned in Oracle Product Document

johngarmonVishal NL
  • Christian Berg-0racle
    edited May 17, 2017 3:55AM

I know it's just something that bugs me

3365160 Member Posts: 14
    edited May 18, 2017 11:43AM

i think that recommandation of Syed are right

in your OBIEE 12c environment

a) In Weblogic Console create Groups BIAdministrators, BIConsumers and BIAuthors

b) Now make sure that your Admin User 'Weblogic' is part of BIAdministrators(as this was the default Admin Application Role in 11g) along with  Administrators Group and verify that this BIAdministrators Group is part of BIAdministrator Application Role

c) Restart your BIEE Services(OBIPS1,OBIS1,OBIJH1 etc) and retest your access.

In your Admin tool

a) got to manage Identity

b) create application roles with same name of Console groups

Vishal NL
  • Vishal NL
    Vishal NL Member Posts: 5
    edited Jun 5, 2017 11:20PM
  • Vishal NL
    Vishal NL Member Posts: 5
    edited Jun 5, 2017 11:21PM

Thanks Christian... I did it the way you recommended and it's working!

Christian Berg-0racle
This discussion has been closed.