• 2,264,146 Discussions
  • 7,905,157 Comments

Discussions

HFM - Elimination not working

YannisV
YannisV Member Posts: 130 Blue Ribbon
edited Jun 1, 2017 10:18AM in Financial Consolidation

\hi to all,

I recently joined an HFM project, we have custom rules practically for everything (well written). Just Before I joined the project we had a name change

on the chart of accounts (COA), our script file  has approximately 6k lines.

On our daily Actuals load we also load intercompany amounts by ICP, I can see the amounts on the nodes.

After consolidation runs there are no eliminations, the values do not eliminate at the parent node (no amount at the [elimination] value member).

Where would be a good place to start investigating?

Also I have a  question, since we use custom script does it mean that the automatic elimination is disabled?

Thank you all in advance.

Regards

yannis

Tagged:
ChrisTurnbullYannisVKiranTR-Oracle

Best Answer

• CBarbieri
    CBarbieri Member Posts: 1,011 Gold Trophy
    edited May 30, 2017 8:49AM Answer ✓

I see two possible causes:

1) custom consolidation rules

2) metadata configuration

For the custom rules, you have three options in the app settings: Y, N, and R. To enable your own, custom consolidation rules in HFM, you must select "Y". To test whether your rules are the cause, you can easily change the setting to "N", and reconsolidate. If the eliminations work with the system's default rules, the issue lies with your rules. If that's the case you should carefully trace the conditions and rules associated with the elimination portion of the Sub Consolidate. You will find sample rules posted in this forum.

If the eliminations do not work with the default rules, check your metadata. For an elimination to occur, the record must meet these conditions:

1) The ICP data must be a base of [ICP Entities].

2) The account must have a plug account listed.

3) The entity and the ICP entity must be [Active] descendants of the current parent entity. We just had a discussion about this topic recently, so read through this forum on the idea of [Active].

If the default rules generate an error message, check that the plug account and the accounts that use it all have the same Custom Top members, allowing for them to use the same intersections.

If your custom rules use methods, make sure the methods are assigned to entities.

- Chris

YannisVYannisV

Answers

• Jeo123
    Jeo123 Member Posts: 515 Gold Badge
    edited May 29, 2017 10:55PM

It's tough to say without knowing exactly what you mean by custom rules.  Almost every application built will have a customized rule file.  Not all have checked the custom consolidation setting in the metadata and built a Consolidate routine.

If you have a Consolidate routine, you need to start there.  That can definitely override the default behavior and if the person writing the routine didn't replicate the default elimination logic, you won't get IC eliminations.

If you don't have a Consolidate routine, you should be able to trace this within the system.  But given your explanation, I suspect you have custom consolidate rules and need to debug those.

Your best approach is to unit test this and try to trace a particular intersection and find out why your rules aren't eliminating it.

• YannisV
    edited May 30, 2017 4:37AM

Jeo123 hi,

Thank you so much for your answers!

Yes we do have a custom consolidation routine for equity elimination acounts, not sure if we do have for P&L account elimination.

So my question is, is it possible to have a custom routine for only a subset of accounts and the default automatic for others?

Also where is the "custom consolidation setting in the metadata"?

Regards

yannis

• User_3CB4U
    User_3CB4U Member Posts: 24 Red Ribbon
    edited May 30, 2017 5:24AM

Hi,

Make sure you have plug account tagged for all ICP accounts and select [ICP Top] Member and check the business rule.

Thanks

YannisV
  • Thanos A
    Thanos A Consolidation System Manager Member Posts: 1,443 Silver Trophy
    edited May 30, 2017 5:29AM

Hi there,

As we were discussing in another post, the values are at the Elimination member of the children of the parent entity and not at the Elimination member of the parent entity.

Can you check if there are any values there?

Cheers,

Thanos

• YannisV
    edited May 30, 2017 5:47AM

Thanks Thanos,

Yes Im aware of that, no values whatsever om the children.

Warm Regards

yannis

• Thanos A
    Thanos A Consolidation System Manager Member Posts: 1,443 Silver Trophy
    edited May 30, 2017 5:52AM

Hi Yannis,

Then you should start investigating the rule file.

Best place to start is Sub consolidate but there are some cases when people have included script in Sub calculate (any .Exp that runs on [Elimination])

Good luck,

Thanos

YannisVYannisV
  • CBarbieri
    edited May 30, 2017 8:49AM Answer ✓

I see two possible causes:

1) custom consolidation rules

2) metadata configuration

For the custom rules, you have three options in the app settings: Y, N, and R. To enable your own, custom consolidation rules in HFM, you must select "Y". To test whether your rules are the cause, you can easily change the setting to "N", and reconsolidate. If the eliminations work with the system's default rules, the issue lies with your rules. If that's the case you should carefully trace the conditions and rules associated with the elimination portion of the Sub Consolidate. You will find sample rules posted in this forum.

If the eliminations do not work with the default rules, check your metadata. For an elimination to occur, the record must meet these conditions:

1) The ICP data must be a base of [ICP Entities].

2) The account must have a plug account listed.

3) The entity and the ICP entity must be [Active] descendants of the current parent entity. We just had a discussion about this topic recently, so read through this forum on the idea of [Active].

If the default rules generate an error message, check that the plug account and the accounts that use it all have the same Custom Top members, allowing for them to use the same intersections.

If your custom rules use methods, make sure the methods are assigned to entities.

- Chris

YannisVYannisV
  • YannisV
    edited May 30, 2017 12:47PM

Thanks a lot Chris!

YannisV
  • YannisV
    edited May 30, 2017 1:17PM

Cant wait to have HFM on essbase, soon I hope.

• CBarbieri
    edited Jun 1, 2017 10:18AM

Good news! You can have "HFM on Essbase": the product is called FCCS :-)

KiranTR-OracleYannisV
This discussion has been closed.