JanGLi
JanGLi Member Posts: 650 Bronze Badge
edited Oct 20, 2017 2:39AM in Financial Consolidation

Hi,
I am trying to replicate this HFM diagram as per my requirement:

URL of article

https://blogs.oracle.com/pa/financial-management-11124

URL of image

https://cdn.app.compendium.com/uploads/user/e7c690e8-6ff9-102a-ac6d-e4aebca50425/f4a5b21d-66fa-4885-92bf-c4e81c06d916/Image/ccd235b48af609331c07fcf89bba96bf/hfmpic1.png

this is what i made:

pastedImage_0.png

Just wanted to ask if this diagram is good to go? Plus do i need to show any communication between managed servers?

Any suggestions are much appreciated

Best Answer

• User_H4Y14
    User_H4Y14 Member Posts: 116 Red Ribbon
    edited Oct 18, 2017 6:11PM Answer ✓

The diagram is good if you are kind of making it a generic one. Else if you are creating it for a particular customer you can put Oracle / SQL server / DB2 in the database layer based on which the customer wants to use. The Database layer can be more than one server or more than one (in case multiple nodes are configured to use handshake mechanism - kind of clustered / failover concept in HFM) depending on the size of the organization and the volume of data....the web app layer looks good depending on the number of Hyperion modules that you are planning to deploy....you can remove the HFM client on the client layer....HFM client no longer connects to the HFM application as it used to as per my understanding....it has become a standalone client....so it cannot interact with the HFM application server using http....you missed the HFM application Server which will have the XFMDataSource (the application instance running on the HFM server per application - so each HFM app will have its own XFMDataSource (earlier versions had HsVDataSource.exe)....

Thanks.

Answers

• Thanos A
    Thanos A Consolidation System Manager Member Posts: 1,441 Silver Trophy
    edited Oct 18, 2017 5:44PM

Hi there,

The diagram of the layers looks ok. Usually the database layer is one server and the web&app layer is another server.

JanGLi
  • User_H4Y14
    edited Oct 18, 2017 6:11PM Answer ✓

The diagram is good if you are kind of making it a generic one. Else if you are creating it for a particular customer you can put Oracle / SQL server / DB2 in the database layer based on which the customer wants to use. The Database layer can be more than one server or more than one (in case multiple nodes are configured to use handshake mechanism - kind of clustered / failover concept in HFM) depending on the size of the organization and the volume of data....the web app layer looks good depending on the number of Hyperion modules that you are planning to deploy....you can remove the HFM client on the client layer....HFM client no longer connects to the HFM application as it used to as per my understanding....it has become a standalone client....so it cannot interact with the HFM application server using http....you missed the HFM application Server which will have the XFMDataSource (the application instance running on the HFM server per application - so each HFM app will have its own XFMDataSource (earlier versions had HsVDataSource.exe)....

Thanks.

• JanGLi
    edited Oct 19, 2017 6:12AM

thanks for helping me out.

I have everything on one server

Sure will add database name...

Will adjust HFM client in different manner...

my understanding is a bit void about xfmdatasource.... on which layer should i mention it... according to oracle it is on application layer? should i show a service under/in Financial Management Managed Server in application server?

pastedImage_1.png

plus i came across this diagram... https://erichelmer.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/11-1-2-4-arch.png

what is

JHsx Server?

LCM?  (as in life cycle management service for HFM?)

DME?

Lifetime Management?

Health Check?

Just to be clear.... web layer contains oracle HTTP server and application layer contains all the managed servers?

Regards

• User_H4Y14
    edited Oct 19, 2017 8:32AM

The thing Eric has posted is his own / some customer configuration that he might have done....LCM is the Life Cycle Management service as you mentioned....the XFMDatasource is part of the HFM Application Server / Application layer....other services like DME / JHsx etc does not needs to be provided in the architecture diagram as those are internal to HFM application server. The Web layer is the Http layer, the web app are the web app modules that are deployed, the application layer are the application servers....

JanGLi
  • JanGLi
    edited Oct 20, 2017 2:39AM

thanks for help guys.

Regards

This discussion has been closed.