• 2,258,892 Discussions
  • 7,892,783 Comments

Discussions

Using JCS or JCS-SX

ItsSaurabh
ItsSaurabh Member Posts: 57 Red Ribbon
edited Oct 24, 2017 7:44PM in Java Cloud Service

Hi,

I want to build some extension on the SaaS application like building a new UI. Please guide me what will be the high level steps and what all things will be involved.

1. Can we use JDeveloper to build the custom UI using ADF?

2. Where do we deploy this ?

3. Do we deploy this in JCS-SX? If so, how can I get/verify the access to it, given that we already have SaaS application.

Thanks

Saurabh

DilipGArunkumar Ramamoorthy-Oracle

Answers

• SanjeevChauhan
    SanjeevChauhan Member Posts: 1,554 Gold Trophy
    edited Sep 25, 2017 12:13AM

Both JCS and JCS-SX are weblogic based PaaS servers. You can think of them as Weblogic servers provided by Oracle and running on Oracle provided servers (cloud).

JCS is mainly used to create java based (including ADF) applications and generally they are stand alone.

JCS-SX is mainly used to create extensions of SaaS (which is your requirement). Here are few quick differences in JCS and JCS-SX

1. JCS-SX is mainly used for SaaS extension. JCS is mainly used for standalone java based applications.

2. JCS provides full control. You can do remote login to VM box and even run wlst scripts etc. You can assume it as a weblogic server running remotely and you have full access to VM, console, em.

JCS-SX is managed by Oracle. Its patching etc is determined by Oracle. You don't have VM/Console/EM access. It has its own console to start/stop server, deploy application. You can even use Java client (SDK) to manage this instance.

3. With JCS-SX you can get SSO enabled with SaaS. This is biggest advantage of JCS-SX. That is why it can provide seamless integration with SaaS.

Thanks

Sanjeev

DilipGArunkumar Ramamoorthy-Oracle
  • Arunkumar Ramamoorthy-Oracle
    Arunkumar Ramamoorthy-Oracle Member Posts: 5,880 Employee
    edited Oct 10, 2017 1:45AM
    1. Can we use JDeveloper to build the custom UI using ADF?

Yes. You can use JDeveloper to build your application for both JCS and JCS SaaS Extension.

2. Where do we deploy this ?

Since you are building an extension to SaaS application, it is best to use JCS SaaS Extension rather than JCS. As @SanjeevChauhan mentioned above, there are lots of benefits in using JCS SaaS Extension for building extensions to your SaaS applications. You can deploy using JDeveloper, JCS SaaS Extension- Java console and also using Cloud SDK CLI.

3. Do we deploy this in JCS-SX? If so, how can I get/verify the access to it, given that we already have SaaS application.

JCS SaaS Extension is separate license. It does not come by default along with your SaaS application.

-Arun

• oladayo.s
    oladayo.s Member Posts: 48 Red Ribbon
    edited Oct 24, 2017 7:21AM
    • The JCS SaasX supports any form of application deployment, however there are a few things to bear in mind if you are considering an ADF application;
    • 1. Supported Version is ADF 11.1.1.7 using jdev 11.1.1.7
    • 2. you can deploy directly using the jdev ide
    • 3. if you are subscribing for JCSX alone, you'll need database schema instance, i.e. you'll have only one database with no administration console (uses APEX to access to tables and objects).
    • 4. there's a db size limitation to the db schema instance.
    • 5. you will be hosted on a shared jcs instance hence, if other uses are running expensive operations on your host, it will impact the performance of your environment.
  • ItsSaurabh
    ItsSaurabh Member Posts: 57 Red Ribbon
    edited Oct 24, 2017 9:16AM

I have some more question on the extension which we can build using ADF and JCS-SX

1. As we are building a UI using ADF and integrating with SaaS Application, then how do we access the Database or prebuilt objects like Accounts, Leads, Opportunities etc to fetch the data ( of  CDM Module of SaaS application)?

2. To integrate the ADF application deployed on JCS-SX, we just need to deploy the ADF application using JCS-SX Java Console and get the URL of the application. Later we can use Tools Menu of the SaaS Application and using "Page Integration", we can create a UI and give the URL of the application deployed on JCS-SX.

Is my understanding correct ?

Thanks
    Saurabh

• oladayo.s
    oladayo.s Member Posts: 48 Red Ribbon
    edited Oct 24, 2017 7:44PM

Hello Saurabh, 1a. Is your existing SaaS application service enabled? i.e. endpoints exists as APIs? if yes then rest/wservice calls should answer your question. This also applies to prebuilt objects like "accounts, leads etc" 1b. If the jdbc url of the data source is known already (should be the provisioned database), then you should be able to build new objects to access the underlying data. As you already know, there are various possible ways of accessing enterprise application data, it all boils down to your architectural design and or limitations of your data governance. 2. I'm not certain I understand what you mean here?.. are you trying to make your newly developed application accessible from another application? Note: a deployed ADF/J2EE  application can be accessed via the webbrowser* as a stand alone application. And can be used to use custom web form login or use the cloud's authentication, there are various possibilities but also limited in a way as you may not* have full access to the weblogic server. Basically, it boils down to the actual solution you are trying to develop and deploy

This discussion has been closed.