Forum Stats

• 3,874,329 Users
  • 2,266,724 Discussions
  • 7,911,822 Comments

Discussions

Would you create a Non-CDB database in 12.2 ?

Y.Ramlet
Y.Ramlet Member Posts: 258 Bronze Badge
edited Dec 15, 2017 9:10AM in Multitenant

DB version: 12.2

I am going to create a new DB for a new application. This DB will be hosted in a physical server which has 128GB RAM and 40 CPUs.

I don't think we will be hosting more than one DB in this server , in future.

Given that the single tenant option ( CDB + 1 single PDB) doesn't require a Multi-tenant licence, is it better to create this DB as a pluggable DB ? If so, why ?

Gaz in OzPrashant UmapY.RamletFranck Pachotvanpupi

Answers

• FRivasF-Oracle
    FRivasF-Oracle Member Posts: 11 Employee
    edited Sep 6, 2017 7:10AM

Hi Ramlet,

Because of this https://docs.oracle.com/database/122/UPGRD/deprecated-features-oracle-database-12c-r2.htm , which states :

Deprecation of Non-CDB Architecture

The non-CDB architecture was deprecated in Oracle Database 12c. It can be desupported and unavailable in a release after Oracle Database 12c Release 2.

Oracle recommends use of the CDB architecture

And because you can still leverage MANY new administration techniques handling a PDB, like refreshing a master clone, relocating it, etc etc

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Gaz in OzY.RamletPrashant UmapFranck Pachot
  • BPeaslandDBA
    BPeaslandDBA Member Posts: 4,615 Blue Diamond
    edited Sep 6, 2017 10:33AM

At this point, I would still create a non-CDB database, especially for a production environment. My reason has nothing to do with the technology merits one way or another but rather my reasons if for human reasons. In my shop, we are only beginning to use Multitenant. We do not have CDB's in our production environment yet. We're working with CDBs in testbeds as we get over a big learning curve. We also have a few development databases as Mutlitenant. As we get more experience, we'll transition the rest to Multitenant.

Just food for thought...

Brian

Y.RamletY.Ramlet
  • Unknown
    edited Sep 6, 2017 11:57AM
    I am going to create a new DB for a new application. This DB will be hosted in a physical server which has 128GB RAM and 40 CPUs.I don't think we will be hosting more than one DB in this server , in future. Given that the single tenant option ( CDB + 1 single PDB) doesn't require a Multi-tenant licence, is it better to create this DB as a pluggable DB ? If so, why ?

You haven't presented ANY info or reason NOT to follow Oracle's standard recommendation and use Multi-tenant. Nor have you said what versions of Oracle you or your org currently use or have experience with.

Since you  do NOT have any existing DB to upgrade, migrate or have restore/recovery issues about yours is the BEST POSSIBLE use case for getting started with the multi-tenant architecture.

The fact that Oracle long-ago deprecated the non-CDB architecture and is moving further away from it is reason enough to use the CDB architecture - especially for your use case.

https://docs.oracle.com/database/122/CNCPT/introduction-to-the-multitenant-architecture.htm#CNCPT89234

Y.RamletY.Ramlet
  • Markus Flechtner
    Markus Flechtner Member Posts: 503 Bronze Trophy
    edited Sep 6, 2017 2:42PM

Do you have experience with the container database architecture?

Is your new database production or test?

If you don't have experience with CDBs, don't create a production CDB ...

If you want to learn CDB, a test CDB is a good idea

But Non-CDB is still supported so Non-CDB is an option, if you are not familar with the new architecture.

HTH

Markus

Y.RamletY.Ramlet
  • Franck Pachot
    Franck Pachot Member Posts: 912 Bronze Trophy
    edited Sep 9, 2017 4:03PM

Hi,

The most important thing is that you have the choice: Non-CDB is deprecated but is still supported. Multitenant is new,

1. Non-CDB is deprecated but is still supported. There is nothing bad to stay on non-CDB and you will be able to change later.

2- Multitenant is new, with some changes in the way you manage you database, but you can be surprised to see that there's nothing difficult

For a new project in 12.2, I would go for multitenant, according to that you have time to do the little changes required in your backup and monitoring scripts.

Reasons are: it's the future, be prepared, be ready, benefit from new features.

Regards,

Franck.

Y.RamletY.Ramletvanpupi
  • User_45AHT
    User_45AHT Member Posts: 1 Red Ribbon
    edited Nov 23, 2017 10:46PM

Its up to you to decide. If Client requirement is Non CDB , then you can proceed.

If Client requirement is CDB, that also can be done.

FYI :- Both Non CDB & CDB are supported by Oracle support. No need to worry at all . You are good.

Regards,

Vivek

• krishan Jaglan
    krishan Jaglan Member Posts: 55
    edited Dec 15, 2017 9:10AM

Hi Y.Ramlet,

My view would be simple here. Until unless you understand the benefit which will add some value , i would stick what you know best.

Looking a the question it sounds like

* you won't be much benefit from CDB in this case, as you haven't shared much information to decide either.

* or at least you didn't indicated if you have good DBA resource to managed CDB.

Going to CDB will be make your life difficult only.

But if you this is new application and not going into production soon in that case you should go with Single PDB architecture and get experience before going live and deal with all issue you might face later in application life cycle when you have move into that space.

thanks

Krishan Jaglan

This discussion has been closed.