• 3,827,999 Users
  • 2,260,846 Discussions
  • 7,897,427 Comments

Discussions

Oracle VM Manager Crash/Restore Did Not Work

2720616 Member Posts: 3
edited Feb 25, 2018 10:54PM in Oracle VM Server for x86

Hey all,

I've run into a pretty big issue and have been throwing myself at it all day.

We are currently using Oracle VM Manager 3.3.2, and it would seem the database corrupted for OVM Manager.

This had caused all of our VM's to not only become unreachable via ssh as well as keeping most of our applications on the VM's from functioning.

We are able to initially reach the Virtual Machine, but after entering the login ID the Network kicks us out.

Here is a list of what I have done so far:

• I have uninstalled OVM Manager and ran the runInstaller.sh-u with the same UUID from the previous install
  • Discovered one of the Servers from the pool
  • Rediscovered the Storage/Repositories
  • Refreshed the Storage/Repositories
  • Refreshed the Servers and made sure the Networking/Server Pool configurations weren't missing
  • Rebooted the hosts and began to try and bring up a VM for testing

We still seem to be having the issue of not being able to reach the VM's from the outside.  The twist here is that we can ping the VM's to and from other devices. 

I'll admit I have limited experience with Oracle VM Manager, but from what I can tell the configuration is correct.

At least based on most "Getting Started" documentation that I've seen on the subject.  For this specific instance, I followed the link below:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E50245_01/E50251/html/vmadm-manager-restore-no-database.html

Please advise on where I might be able to go from here.  The only option I see at this point is building a new server and rebuilding OVM Manager from scratch.

Let me know if I need to provide more information.

Thanks,

Mike

Tagged:

Answers

• Eric Schrauth
    Eric Schrauth Member Posts: 81 Blue Ribbon
    edited Feb 25, 2018 6:08PM

Can you console into the VMs on the VM Server they are running in via xm console <vmid>?  Can you see if the machines have network cards?  I was having a problem when I started up one of my virtual machines that it didn't have a network interface.  Didn't know if that helps.

edited Feb 25, 2018 7:05PM

Eric,

Yes, we can get to the console from within the OVM Manager UI.  The Linux machines each have an eth0 set up that shows up as working when running an ifconfig on the VM.

An interesting Update:

We have more than one Server Pool in the OVM Manager, sharing the same network, etc.  One of them is working just fine.

I've looked through the config for both, refreshed storage/repositories/several times but can't seem to find out how they're differing.

Will keep looking into it, but thanks for the reply.

Thanks,

Mike

• Eric Schrauth
    edited Feb 25, 2018 8:55PM

When you console into to the vms, how are the networks configured.  can you ping machines outside of your network?

edited Feb 25, 2018 10:39PM

Eric,

Thanks for reaching out.  We were able to find where the discrepancies were.

The /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file on the hosts had gotten corrupted somehow.

Once we corrected those where they were more like the functioning pool and rebooted the hosts, the VM's started with proper netowrking.

Turns out you were right, it was a network config problem.

Thanks,

Mike

• Eric Schrauth
    edited Feb 25, 2018 10:54PM

No problem.  Glad I could help.  I know how frustrating it is. 

This discussion has been closed.