• 2,266,972 Discussions
  • 7,912,341 Comments

Discussions

PDB Cloning w/OMF in RAC

MS Sauter
MS Sauter Member Posts: 119 Blue Ribbon
edited May 18, 2018 5:52PM in Multitenant

Hello.

Using Oracle 12.1.0.2.0.  Have 1 SOURCE pdb (PDB1) and attempting to clone to a 2nd pdb (PDB2) within the same cdb (CDB1) using OMF files that are managed by ASM.  I created PDB1 some time ago from a NCDB using datafiles that I copied over (using ASMCMD commands) from a remote host.  No issue there.

I then successfully clone PDB1 to PDB2 via "create pluggable database PDB2 from PDB1 CREATE_FILE_DEST='+DATA' ;

I DO see the new directory with the GUID +DATA/CDB1/6CCEBF3072B43SEC4E05397447B8636DD/DATAFILE

Again, no problem.

I would like the next set of pdb (PDB3) datafiles I create to go under +DATA/PDB3 - like it it for PDB1 (under +DATA/PDB1).  I am sure this is a mix up in my understanding of OMF here, but here is my question:

Why can't I issue "create pluggable database PDB3 from PDB1 CREATE_FILE_DEST='+DATA/PDB3?  It gives me the error ""ORA-65165 : missing or invalid patch for file creation".  Am I getting this because I am trying to override the underlying fact of OMF here?  I get this same error regardless of whether I first  explicitly create the PDB3 subdirectory under "+DATA".

Thank you all.

Matt

Best Answer

• MS Sauter
    edited May 18, 2018 5:52PM Answer ✓

OK - I did discover that this is an OMF issue and I cannot override it as the error demonstrates.  My confusion arose from the fact that I copied OMF files (using ASMCMD "cp" commands) from another host and explicitly used "+DATA/PDB1" on the "TO' side of my command.  Upon further analysis, I see that Oracle created a link from the +DATA/PDB2 path pointing to +DATA/ASM/DATAFILE.DBfileID.Iteration#.  I guess a sorta fooled myself into thinking I could get the same end result when issuing the "create pluggable database PDB12 from PDB1 CREATE_FILE_DEST='+DATA/PDB2'.

I will just be happy with PDB2's data files landing under +DATA/CDB1/guID/DATAFILE.

Sorry for the confusion.

Matt

Answers

• MS Sauter
    edited May 18, 2018 5:52PM Answer ✓

OK - I did discover that this is an OMF issue and I cannot override it as the error demonstrates.  My confusion arose from the fact that I copied OMF files (using ASMCMD "cp" commands) from another host and explicitly used "+DATA/PDB1" on the "TO' side of my command.  Upon further analysis, I see that Oracle created a link from the +DATA/PDB2 path pointing to +DATA/ASM/DATAFILE.DBfileID.Iteration#.  I guess a sorta fooled myself into thinking I could get the same end result when issuing the "create pluggable database PDB12 from PDB1 CREATE_FILE_DEST='+DATA/PDB2'.

I will just be happy with PDB2's data files landing under +DATA/CDB1/guID/DATAFILE.

Sorry for the confusion.

Matt

This discussion has been closed.