Forum Stats

• 3,852,419 Users
  • 2,264,102 Discussions
  • 7,905,062 Comments

Discussions

PBCS - Load Attributes possible in FDMEE?

elwayisgod
elwayisgod Member Posts: 103 Green Ribbon
edited Dec 6, 2018 8:13AM in Planning and Budgeting

Hi,

Doing a file based load.  Fields 2, 3 and 5 are attributes of the 'Product' field number 4.  Here's snippet of my source file:

1.jpg

First is there a way to assign attributes in my data load?

Can I do it all in one load?'

If those are YES, which I think they are but not 100% sure then I do the following:

I define my Import Format as follows.  I added the three rows as 'attributes'.  Not sure this was correct or not as the articles and docs I'm reading are a bit confusing.

Import_Format.jpg

I have my Target application setup as follows.  Again not sure I did this correctly.  I manually added the three attributes here as LOOKUP and then a 'UD' value.

Target1.jpg

I think it needs to be 'All data types with security' here too from what I'm reading?

Target2.jpg

So when I run my Import, I'm getting nothing in the columns.

Import.jpg

Any guidance on where I'm going wrong is appreciated.  I want to be able to populate the attributes in FDMEE using same source file.

Tagged:
elwayisgodRobert Angel

Answers

• David Ambler
    David Ambler Member Posts: 16
    edited Dec 4, 2018 7:54PM

Hi

I'm not 100% sure however if you are wanting to load Metadata have a look at John Goodwins blog; More to life...: EPM Cloud – Data Management – Loading metadata is here

Cheers

elwayisgodelwayisgod
  • elwayisgod
    edited Dec 4, 2018 9:37PM

Hi,

I have the attribute dims built.  Im trying to load data so I can report on the attributes.  I think I need load data.

Thanks for reply

• Avinash Bhuma
    Avinash Bhuma Member Posts: 150
    edited Dec 4, 2018 11:53PM

Hi,

Why you are creating new Import format mapping for Portfolio, Tech, the Mounting type with attribute1,2 and 3 when it's already there at the bottom.

Please remove the attribute's import format and assign them in below format as I have directed in below image.

pastedImage_0.png

Try and let me know the results.

elwayisgod
  • JohnGoodwin
    JohnGoodwin Member Posts: 30,471 Blue Diamond
    edited Dec 5, 2018 3:21AM

I think you might confusing attributes in an import format with attributes in Planning/Essbase, they are not the same.

This is from the docs which explains how they are usually used in DM.

pastedImage_0.png

Also when loading from Planning from DM, if you use the load method "All data types with Security" with an admin user then it will use the Outline load utility behind the scenes.

If it is numeric load type it will create an Essbase load rule based on the target dimensions.

I don't quite get what you are trying to achieve, an attribute can be assigned to multiple members, attributes are dynamically calculated on the fly, you would usually load data to the base member which has an attribute assigned to it.

Cheers

John

Robert Angelelwayisgod
  • Robert Angel
    Robert Angel Member Posts: 4,535 Bronze Crown
    edited Dec 5, 2018 3:43AM

Hi John,

when I read your excellent blog on this relatively new feature of FDMEE I felt that the fact that it does not retain the ordering of the lines of your original file was a deal breaker - due to the fact that parents could appear in a file before they have been defined as members, as well as the shared issue that you directly alluded to in the blog, and that for me it was not fit for the purpose of maintaining PBCS' metadata, aside from for very limited uses, like loading single new members in isolation.

Am I wrong in this respect, is there a way to make this functionality work as well as the standard PBCS import metadata functionality?

• elwayisgod
    edited Dec 5, 2018 8:15AM

OK.  So I think I was confused.  So what I need to do is assign all members of my attribute dims to their respective products in the Products dim.  Then I can report on them as normal.   So my question changes to:

Can I assign attributes to members of my base dim 'Products' in FDMEE in PBCS?  Or do I have to manually do it in PBCS?

Sorry for confusion.  Has been a while since I mucked with attributes in a non Essbase only environment

• Robert Angel
    Robert Angel Member Posts: 4,535 Bronze Crown
    edited Dec 5, 2018 8:22AM

Hi.

sorry - my comment was a 'side question' aimed at John, which was highlighting what I perceived to be the shortcomings of using FDMEE to maintain metadata generally.

I have not used FDMEE for metadata, because of the limitations I cited in my post to John, so I am not the best to ask!!

For me until the limitations are addressed I would stick with the flat file maintenance as it is entirely robust and predictable in its behaviors, but others may see this differently.

• elwayisgod
    edited Dec 5, 2018 8:48AM

Well, I have to make them dims anyways as it's a many to many relationship.  But nonetheless, if ever I need to use attributes in future, I won't be as confused

Thanks for all the replies and setting me straight!!!

• JohnGoodwin
    JohnGoodwin Member Posts: 30,471 Blue Diamond
    edited Dec 5, 2018 9:32AM
    pbcs_challenged wrote:OK. So I think I was confused. So what I need to do is assign all members of my attribute dims to their respective products in the Products dim. Then I can report on them as normal. So my question changes to:Can I assign attributes to members of my base dim 'Products' in FDMEE in PBCS? Or do I have to manually do it in PBCS?

Yes you can use the metadata functionality built into DM, have a look at my blog post on it.

• David Ambler
    David Ambler Member Posts: 16
    edited Dec 6, 2018 12:50AM

I did have a few issues updating UDA's when more that one was needed, (not that is what I think the OP is wanting to do but if so this might be useful) - so have written my findings on that here; https://davidambler.blogspot.com/2018/12/loading-multiple-udas-via-data.html

elwayisgod