• 3,769,299 Users
  • 2,252,945 Discussions
  • 7,874,982 Comments

Discussions

Active-Passive Nothing Shared HA Design for Oracle BPM 12c

Benjamin Agbalajobi
Benjamin Agbalajobi Member Posts: 2

Hello,

A client is currently implementing Oracle BPM 12c, and requires a HA setup. The production and DR sites are completely separate - running a nothing shared architecture. This implies that I cannot cluster the Middleware environment. I am able to replicate the Oracle database using Oracle Data Guard technology. The client requires that BPM tasks are replicated so that active tasks on a failed Production environment can be resumed on the DR environment.

I would like to receive guidance on how this can be implemented? My thoughts are to use rsync on the application tier and Data Guard on the database tier to deliver replication. I have not tested this as yet, but I would like to receive guidance or thoughts on how this HA environment can be implemented.

Many thanks in advance

Benjamin

Answers

• Martien van den Akker
    Martien van den Akker Member Posts: 2,776 Bronze Crown
    edited Apr 30, 2019 7:34AM

Hi Benjamin,

You could clone the BPM domain using pack and unpack to your DR environment. If it is acceptable, you can leave the BPM servers down until fail-over. Then start the BPM servers against the switched-over database.

License-wise you should have the bpm servers down, because if they're up then they will do work against the data-guarded database. You can use Grid Datasources, that switch over to the standby database. But it will then use the primary database and then thus do work. And thus you should pay licenses for the not-so standby BPM servers. And therefor they should be down until failover.

Regards,
    Martien

Benjamin Agbalajobi
  • Benjamin Agbalajobi
    Benjamin Agbalajobi Member Posts: 2
    edited May 3, 2019 8:47AM

Thanks, Martien.

I'll work this and let you know how it pans out.

Benjamin