• 2,258,892 Discussions
  • 7,892,783 Comments

Discussions

OEM 13c: notification via email when ORA-00600 in alert.log

VivaLaVida2019
VivaLaVida2019 Member Posts: 20 Red Ribbon
edited Dec 18, 2019 11:53PM in Enterprise Manager

Hi all ,

our OEM 13c (Release 13.3.0.0.0) does not send immediate any email/notification when the alert.log file of a database contains an ORA-00600 entry (e.g.  ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments:). Instead of sending this important notification immediate, the OEM sends the email/notification 7 days later. This is due to the Rule Name "Clear metric alert events older than 7 days". My expectation is that the Rule Name "Create incident for critical metric alerts" should send that notification when the metric alert detects an ORA-00600 entry. Under "Metric and Collection Settings" I have activated the Metrics "Alert Log", "Alert Log Error Status",  "DB Alert Log" and "DB Alert Log Error Status" with a Collection Schedule of "every 15 Minutes". Under "Generic Alert Log Error" and "Generic Alert Log Error Status" I have set the comparison operator to "Matches" and the Warning Threshold to "ORA-0*(600?|7445|4[0-9][0-9][0-9])[^0-9]". BTW: these are the default settings.

I currently do not understand why the OEM does not send the email/notification when the ORA-00600 error gest detected in the alert.log. Do I need to set up something else which I'm currently not aware of to receive the email/notification?

Any help will be appreciated.

best regards

Jan

Best Answer

• Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle
    Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle Posts: 590 Employee
    edited Dec 3, 2019 7:32AM Answer ✓

Hi Jan,

In general we have seen the issues with ORA alert monitoring in EM for 12.2 & higher DB versions. So it is expected to hit even in your case.

The document which you followed would be a workaround till you have fix in place.

So, the best option is to have the latest Bundle Patches applied on OMS which should take care of this bug.

Regarding the Flash to Jet related query:

13.4 is expected to get released in first half of CY20, but exact date is yet to be provided.

But 13.3.2 DB plugin had most of the features cut over to Jet, though there are few bug / ERs still pending, which are going to be included in 13.4.

Best Regards,
    Venkat

VivaLaVida2019

Answers

edited Dec 3, 2019 6:59AM

Hi Jan,

What is the version of the database for which the alerts are not getting reported.

We have a known scenario, please find the document below:

EM 13c: Enterprise Manager 13c Cloud Control DB Alert Log Metric Fails to Report Logged ORA- Errors for 12.2 ,18c and higher database versions (Doc ID 2329471.1)

Best Regards,
    Venkat

VivaLaVida2019
  • VivaLaVida2019
    edited Dec 3, 2019 7:26AM

Hi Venkat ,

all of our databases are of version 12.2.0 - using the workaround "alter system set UNIFORM_LOG_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT=FALSE scope=both;" is not possible for the productional databases. How can I proof that we are hitting this bug? Or is it a matter of fact that we are hitting the bug? We are still waiting for OEM release 13.4 since we are currently having trouble with the desupport of the flash technology (and the currently available JET technology is not working as expected) - but that is another topic.

I have followed the instructions of Doc ID 2046362.1 to enable to notification of ORA errors - that seems to work, but however is a workaround since the expected behaviour of the notification mechanism seems not to fully function. Do you believe that the instructions of Doc ID 2046362.1 are proper to solve my issue?

best regards

Jan

edited Dec 3, 2019 7:32AM Answer ✓

Hi Jan,

In general we have seen the issues with ORA alert monitoring in EM for 12.2 & higher DB versions. So it is expected to hit even in your case.

The document which you followed would be a workaround till you have fix in place.

So, the best option is to have the latest Bundle Patches applied on OMS which should take care of this bug.

Regarding the Flash to Jet related query:

13.4 is expected to get released in first half of CY20, but exact date is yet to be provided.

But 13.3.2 DB plugin had most of the features cut over to Jet, though there are few bug / ERs still pending, which are going to be included in 13.4.

Best Regards,
    Venkat

VivaLaVida2019
  • VivaLaVida2019
    edited Dec 3, 2019 8:33AM

Hi Venkat ,

many thanks for your update! I will apply the recommended patch bundles on our Acceptance environment.

Regarding the Flash/JET technology: as already posted in this forum the currently available plugins and the currently available patches are not fully functional. I have opened a SR a couple weeks ago - the respond hasn't currently not offered a workaround which will solve all issues. Currently the work on that SR is still in progress - I'm looking forward what the final response will be.

It seems to me that we have to wait for release 13.4 before all issues will be solved - due to this we will not upgrade our productional OEM regarding the JET technology. In our Acceptance environment I have implemented many patches and tried the available workarounds. This is not something I would like to do on the productional environment.

best regards

Jan

• User51642 Yong Huang
    User51642 Yong Huang Member Posts: 160 Bronze Badge
    edited Dec 11, 2019 10:01AM

I use the "tail -f <log file> | mail ..." approach. See "How to get alert by reading log files" at Tips on Handling Log File

Since "tail -f" reads from the end of a file, there's no overhead proportional to the size of the log file being read. The "-f" option probes the file end once a second (by default) so it's near real-time.

edited Dec 18, 2019 11:53PM

Hi Jan,

There are many issues that were taken care in 13.4 with respective to the Flash to JET.

There are some bugs file across the SQL Package that needs to be deployed for the getting the correct details listed in CDB & PDB target pages to get the ASH Analytics / SQL Monitoring pages to work. This has been enhanced by giving the option enabled in PDB as well.

Also there are few fixes taken care with respect to the IE11 which were not working earlier.

But more fixes to be included.

Best Regards,
    Venkat

VivaLaVida2019