• 3,734,348 Users
  • 2,246,954 Discussions
  • 7,857,243 Comments

Discussions

Renaming OMS & repository host name

User_LZY8A
User_LZY8A Member Posts: 58 Red Ribbon
edited Aug 6, 2020 12:52PM in Enterprise Manager

Our OMS Linux host name needs to be renamed. It has OMS 13.4.0.0 and OEM repository Oracle 19.0.0.

Anybody has performed OMS & repository host renaming before? Is it hard and risky?

Another choice I think is to configure a new server with the new name, and install Oracle and OEM 13.4, export OEM jobs from old server and import to the new server, reinstall the OEM agents in all DB servers. This should work as well, but lots of work.  Would like to get some help for just renaming.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle
    Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle Posts: 590 Employee
    edited Aug 4, 2020 5:00PM

Hi,,

Rename of Hostname is not supported for EM.

If the Hostname is changed the OMS is gone as the hostname is embedded in all the configuration files of different components of EM.

IPAddress change is Okay.
    Keep the OMS down.
    Change the IP.
    Restart OMS.

But Hostname change, OMS will not work.

Best Regards,
    Venkat

• User_LZY8A
    User_LZY8A Member Posts: 58 Red Ribbon
    edited Aug 4, 2020 5:50PM

Thanks Venkat!

It seems that Doc ID 2602135.1 gives the steps to update OMS with host renaming  but looks very complicated. I'm wondering if anybody ever performed those steps.

Also if I use the option to build a new OMS in separate server. I think databases should be able to be accessed by two different OMS, right?

Thanks!

• Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle
    Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle Posts: 590 Employee
    edited Aug 5, 2020 8:54AM

Hi,

Yes!! This is not a procedure which is provided as an external document. Since the steps are not easy to perform and doing something wrong can cause more damage.

We have implemented these steps in few customer cases and they works fine.

So,, the best suggestion is to file an SR and get the support assist with the scenario and steps.

Best Regards,

Venkat

• Nishant Baurai
    Nishant Baurai Member Posts: 215
    edited Aug 6, 2020 12:52PM

What is the purpose of hostname change? if it is just for keeping a simple name which can be easily memorised, add a DNS entry for it.