• 3,768,260 Users
  • 2,252,769 Discussions
  • 7,874,508 Comments

Discussions

debuginfo in ol8

philfry
philfry Member Posts: 9 Green Ribbon

Hi all,

recently I switched from RHEL and CentOS to OL.

I randomly need to debug packages and I'm used to do this with gdb and the debuginfo packages.

Formerly I used debuginfo-install to install the debuginfo packages gdb requested to show the backtraces. I realized that OL doesn't provide a yum/dnf repository containing the debuginfo packages but provides some of them at oss dot oracle dot com slash ol8 slash debuginfo (I'm not allowed to post links yet).

1. which makes it quite a pain to install the required packages because you'll have to craft the debuginfo packagename from what gdb is asking for, resolve the dependencies, craft their names, too, install the whole bunch and start over if something is still missing. Would Oracle be so kind and run something like createrepo over that directory to enable the use of debuginfo-install?
  2. oss dot oracle dot com slash ol8 slash debuginfo is far from being complete. At least all appstream packages are missing. Where can I get those?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,821 Employee

Hmm, oss.oracle.com/ol8/debuginfo should be both complete and a dnf repo. Thanks for letting us know. I'll raise a bug for this.

RaiderOfTheLostSPARC
  • philfry

Hi Avi,

thanks for your effort. Are there any news on this?

The oss debuginfo repository is still outdated and incomplete:

diff -y \

<(lynx -dump -listonly https oss oracle com ol8 debuginfo | \

awk -F/ '/\.x86_64\.rpm$/{print $6}' | \

sed -r 's/-debug(info|source)-/-/' | sort -u) \

<(dnf --disablerepo='*' --enablerepo='ol8_*' repoquery \

--qf '%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}.rpm' '*.x86_64' | \

grep -v -- -devel- | sort)

Also it's not a yum/dnf repo as repodata/repomd.xml is missing.

• philfry

Hi,

the debuginfo directory is finally a yum/dnf repository, thanks a lot!

Unfortunately, there are still lots of packages missing:

cat > /etc/yum.repos.d/oracle-linux-ol8-debuginfo.repo <<EOF
    [ol8_baseos_latest-debuginfo]
    name = Oracle Linux 8 debuginfo
    baseurl = https://oss.oracle.com/ol8/debuginfo
    enabled = 0
    gpgkey = file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle
    gpgcheck = 1
    EOF
    comm -23 \
      <(dnf repoquery --qf '%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}.rpm' \
      --disablerepo='*' --enablerepo=ol8_baseos_latest '*.x86_64' | sort) \
      <(dnf repoquery --qf '%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}.rpm' \
      --disablerepo='*' --enablerepo=ol8_baseos_latest-debuginfo '*.x86_64' | \
      sed -r 's/-debug(info|source)-/-/' | sort)

Also, where are the debuginfo files for ol8_appstream and ol8_codeready_builder?

tbh ist pretty hard to argue for Oracle Linux as a CentOS replacement in my company if our developers and sysadmins are unable to run a debugger due to missing debug objects.

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,821 Employee

I'll make sure the Oracle Linux release management team are made aware of this. Thanks for your feedback.

• philfry

Hi,

thanks for your effort, Avi.

But unfortunately there's no progress in this – there are still lots of debuginfo packages missing. Now with rhel8.4/ol8.4 the drift is even bigger.

Not having debuginfo packages is a severe show stopper for developers and managed services hosters and people and companies probably will stick to RHEL or move to AlmaLinux.

Kind regards

• Sergio-Oracle
    Sergio-Oracle Member Posts: 2,622 Employee

We are looking into this.

philfry
  • Sergio-Oracle

I think you'll find the list of missing debuginfo packages has been reduced significantly. AppStream and CodeReady Builder are in the same directory on oss. These will move to yum.o.com in due course. Please let us know if there is a particular set you are looking for.

• Jeremy Bascom
    Jeremy Bascom Member Posts: 1 Red Ribbon

Good to know this is coming to yum.o.com... Is the repo available yet for ol7 or ol8?

I've manually installed the rpms from the oss site. This one was missing:

`Missing separate debuginfos, use: debuginfo-install numactl-libs-2.0.12-5.0.3.el7.x86_64`

• Sergio-Oracle

Hi Jeremy - the team is still working on it. Thanks for letting us know about the missing RPM.