Forum Stats

• 3,836,792 Users
  • 2,262,193 Discussions
  • 7,900,114 Comments

Discussions

Tell us about your experience with the "Oracle Enterprise Manager App for Grafana ”

Answers

• User_U7VAB
    User_U7VAB Member Posts: 1 Red Ribbon
    Answer ✓

Is oracle actively providing support for the Grafana EM Plugin to its Enterprise Customers.

• Oracle does not support this App, but community support is provided via the forums over here.

• user11971075
    user11971075 Member Posts: 13 Blue Ribbon

Hi Murtaza

My personal view is Grafana EM Plugin is better than Incident Manager from dashboarding and reporting's perspective. Incident Manager gives me a clear picture of any discrete alert. With the information of General, Event, Notification tab, most of times, we can know what the issue is and how to address such alert. This suits the needs of a frontline operational DBA who does not care too much about dashboarding,reporting, aggregation. Their job is to address alerts. That's may be one of the reason that result set of Incident Manager cannot be exported. :-) But alerts come and go. From DB managers' perspective, they don't care discrete alerts but need to gain insight of data populated in the repository DB tables. I hope to use Grafana EM Plugin to disclose those insights.

On support side, do you mean if customers have technical difficulties using Grafana EM Plugin (which is coded by Oracle), they don't open an SR with MOS but with Oracle community?

We have been using this product for some time. Installation is easy. But I find it hard to get the information (gain insight of my enterprise monitoring status) I want. Currently, this product requires coding of sql against repository DB view (This is my scope since I don't care about individual target type or target), but many MGMT tables/views information was not in official documentation.

https://docs.oracle.com/en/enterprise-manager/cloud-control/enterprise-manager-cloud-control/13.5/emvws/index.html

Also I noticed I cannot display results based on admin group. The navigation firstly restrict me on target type and target name. But the best practice of enterprise monitoring is based on admin group associate with template collection which contains monitoring templates.

A few examples:

Show a dashboard that lists all metric settings of a target that has different metric settings based on its monitoring template. The table includes the target, its admin group, its template collection name, it monitoring template name, different metric settings, when it was made, who made that change?

Show a time-series dashboard which displays top 5 metrics that have generated critical alerts given any moving window I define, say, last 24 hours, last 7 days, last 31 days, etc, with trending and numbers.

Show a dashboard that lists all open alerts that have passed defined repeated notifcation counts that are effective on owning target's admin group.

Show a dashboard that lists all DB that explictly use hidden and undocumented parameters.

Show a dashboard that, based on admin group, lists all DB targets and its version history, for example, DB1 is a fresh installation of 19c, DB2 was upgrade from 12.1.0.2 to 19c, DB3 was upgraded from 12.1.0.2 to 18c and 19c.

Show a dashboard that displays the top 5 fastest growed DB in terms of size within the last 6 months with growth trending duirng that 6 month.

A few questions on your product roadmap (perhaps you have already had some of these):

When do you plan to implemented user defined filtering in GUI? For example, list all agents that do not have certain patches. Instead of writing sql entirely, the GUI offers a text field to enter patch number and the result will be displayed.

When do you plan to implement drill down feature? For example, displays top 5 metrics that have generated critical alerts given any moving window I define, say, last 24 hours, last 7 days, last 31 days, etc, with trending and numbers. When clicking on the numbers, it will show information on which target had this alert at which time.

When do you plan to implement historical information based on time series, for instance, have a dashboard displaying which metrics have been changed on a target with its metric setting change. This can give us a picture when a target whose admin group is out of sync with template collection and the last good known value.

When do you plan to implement correlation feature, given any metric alert, see how wide spread the issue is.

When do you plan to implement coding-free dashboarding (simple dashboarding) like ServiceNow provides?

• User_HH9IQ
    User_HH9IQ Member Posts: 2 Blue Ribbon

I'm running Grafana 8.2.2 on linux and the Oracle EMCC App plug in is unsigned and cannot be loaded.

The Grafana log shows:

msg="Some plugin scanning errors were found" logger=plugins errors="plugin 'oracle-emcc-datasource' is unsigned, plugin 'oracle-emcc-app' is unsigned"

Documentation shows you can allow it via allow_loading_unsigned_plugins in the grafana.ini, but it persists with the error message and will not load or show up as plug in or datasource.

How do you allow Grafana to allow this unisigned plug in to load?

• Create a new file conf/custom.ini and edit it so it has the following contents:

[plugins]

allow_loading_unsigned_plugins=oracle-emcc-app,oracle-emcc-datasource

• User_HH9IQ
    User_HH9IQ Member Posts: 2 Blue Ribbon

Hozefa, I installed Grafana using the rpm package, so the configuration file is located at /etc/grafana/grafana.ini and a separate custom.ini is not used. However, I edited the grafana.ini file removed the semicolon at the beginning of ;"allow_loading_unsigned_plugins", restarted grafana and it worked.

I guess I am getting old when I am expect comments delimited by "#" symbols and not ";"....

ArunBavera
  • ArunBavera
    ArunBavera Member Posts: 24 Red Ribbon
    edited Dec 2, 2021 3:41PM

We may need updated document and also example of installing Grafana server also.

Struggled a bit in Installing Grafana and then enabling OEM plugin,

Running OEM 13.4 UP12, Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 8.5 (Ootpa), Grafana Server grafana-8.2.5-1.x86_64

Grafana was not running when try to use custom path either as Oracle or as root complaining:

/var/lib/grafana#/usr/sbin/grafana-server --config "/etc/grafana/grafana.ini" --homepath "/u00/app/oracle/GRAFANA"

Grafana server is running with elevated privileges. This is not recommended

Grafana-server Init Failed: Could not find config defaults, make sure homepath command line parameter is set or working directory is homepath

Had to create these folders:

mkdir -p /usr/share/grafana/data/log

mkdir -p /usr/share/grafana/data/plugins

and started using normal method:

systemctl start grafana-server

Installed Plugin:

grafana-cli --pluginUrl /tmp/oracle-emcc-app-2.0.0.zip plugins install oracle-emcc-app

✔ Downloaded oracle-emcc-app v2.0.0 zip successfully

Please restart Grafana after installing plugins. Refer to Grafana documentation for instructions if necessary.

and then need to add below to /etc/grafana/grafana.ini

allow_loading_unsigned_plugins=oracle-emcc-app,oracle-emcc-datasource

Restarted Grafana:

systemctl stop grafana-server

systemctl start grafana-server

Now, it is showing as unsigned Plugin:

Enabled the plugin

Now, it is showing in Add Datasource:

Now to start the journey..

• @ArunBavera which version of Grafana server and OEM App for Grafana were you trying to install?

• ArunBavera
    ArunBavera Member Posts: 24 Red Ribbon

Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 8.5 (Ootpa)

OEM 13.4 UP12

oracle-emcc-app-2.0.0.zip

Grafana Server grafana-8.2.5-1.x86_64

• @ArunBavera Our OEM App for Grafana v2.0.0 is certified with Grafana server version 7.3.1. Do refer to the certification matrix on https://www.oracle.com/enterprise-manager/downloads/grafana-downloads.html