• 3,838,674 Users
  • 2,262,392 Discussions
  • 7,900,730 Comments

Discussions

Update Oracle Linux keep the release

Matthieu COUSSI
Matthieu COUSSI Member Posts: 5 Green Ribbon

Hi,

I want to update an Oracle Linux 8.4 with dnf command but i don't want that the update process update my OS to Oracle Linux 8.6 release.

Do you know how to do update my OS and keep my release OEL to 8.4?

Thanks for your help,

Matt

Best Answer

• andreas.dijkman
    andreas.dijkman Member Posts: 92 Bronze Badge
    Answer ✓

You can't pin it to a specific release. There is no point because the packages of 8.x are a (kind of) rolling release and every (minor) release is just a snapshot of a package state of that specific point in time. As soon as a new release (8.6 on top of 8.5 for example) is released, specific versions of components in 8.5 won't be patched anymore as there is a new release, that is part of 8.6. Some packages get a minor bump in versions but that's about it.

I know RedHat has some specific SAP HANA-(sub)releases that get a bit longer support but nothing major. And as every minor release contains all updates to a lot of packages this isn't advised.

It's just not how it works on EL-versions, you update EL8 to the latest release and don't look at the minor release. Maybe there are some breaking changes, for instance driver-modules that get dropped, but those are almost always deprecated at the start of the major release and not mid-cycle of the entire OS.

Matthieu COUSSI

Answers

• andreas.dijkman

Why would you do that? There are no updates for 8.4 since the release of 8.5 so that's a long time ago.

• Matthieu COUSSI

Hi,

It's just an example.

An other example :

If my OS release is 8.5. How can i update it and keep the OS release 8.5.

If my OS release is 8.6. How can i update it and keep the OS release 8.6.

If my OS release is 8.7. How can i update it and keep the OS release 8.7.

etc...

Thanks for your help,

Matt

• andreas.dijkman
    Answer ✓

You can't pin it to a specific release. There is no point because the packages of 8.x are a (kind of) rolling release and every (minor) release is just a snapshot of a package state of that specific point in time. As soon as a new release (8.6 on top of 8.5 for example) is released, specific versions of components in 8.5 won't be patched anymore as there is a new release, that is part of 8.6. Some packages get a minor bump in versions but that's about it.

I know RedHat has some specific SAP HANA-(sub)releases that get a bit longer support but nothing major. And as every minor release contains all updates to a lot of packages this isn't advised.

It's just not how it works on EL-versions, you update EL8 to the latest release and don't look at the minor release. Maybe there are some breaking changes, for instance driver-modules that get dropped, but those are almost always deprecated at the start of the major release and not mid-cycle of the entire OS.

Matthieu COUSSI
  • Matthieu COUSSI

Ok, thank you for your feedback.

Matt