apps-infra

Forum Stats

• 3,873,766 Users
  • 2,266,638 Discussions
  • 7,911,626 Comments

Discussions

Upgrade OBIEE to OAS within 11.1.1.10.3

Hi there,

Any experience in upgrading OBIEE 12c to OAS in an existing OBIA Deployment?

I did already a standalone OBIEE Upgrade, but cannot find any reference how to do this with OBIA. Should I reinstall ODI in the new WL Instance?

Any hint is welcome.

Ciao

MP

Best Answer

• Gianni Ceresa
    Gianni Ceresa Managing Director | Oracle ACE Director Member Posts: 6,724 Blue Diamond
    Answer ✓

I do get your point, but it's sadly a different generation of products: OBIA 11.1.1.10.3 is kind of stuck on the technical environment of OBIEE 12.2.1.3/.4 : WebLogic 12.2.1.3 and FMW 12.2.1.3.

OAS didn't go much further away as it's stuck on WebLogic 12.2.1.4 and FMW 12.2.1.4

But that little .1 of difference is enough to make things incompatible. It could maybe even work, but most of the pieces generally have checks on the version to prevent mixing things up.

The real solution will probably come when all these tools will move to WebLogic 14c (I believe I did read the plan for FMW 12c it upgrade there), because WebLogic 12c is dead (or about to die as it still has support only because there are these products out there requiring it).

Till everything will not migrated to 14c, you must keep your double environments.

I do understand your issues, you can keep as many components stopped as you want, a double WebLogic + FMW setup will need more resources.

My approach to it would be to put OAS somewhere else, on a different server, and use a proxy to have user accessing what you need them to see. You maybe already have a proxy if you have SSO, or you will anyway have one (because OAS does SSO only via a proxy). You can prevent people accessing the old OBIEE ports by also using the firewall on the server itself to block access to the ports etc.

It does require a bit more careful infrastructure planning, but it's the price to pay for now. You can always wait mid 2023 to see what versions are going to be used by the next OAS: if they are still on 12.2.1.4 you lost 6+ months waiting for the same result. If they move to a newer WebLogic + FMW there are chances that a newer version of OBIA running on that will also come (but maybe it will be another 6 months away).

Answers

• Gianni Ceresa
    Gianni Ceresa Managing Director | Oracle ACE Director Member Posts: 6,724 Blue Diamond

As far as I know OAS is fully independent and doesn't touch at all your OBIA install (you keep it as it is), you just migrate the OBIEE content (RPD + catalog) on OAS and connect to that one.

I didn't check if they now use the same WebLogic and FMW, they weren't the same versions and that's why OAS was just installed on the side of your existing OBIA.

• Marco Poloni - PAW
    Marco Poloni - PAW Member Posts: 7 Green Ribbon

Not that easy unfortunately, 2 aspects to be considered:

1) ODI Server is deployed in the same FMW as OBIEE, that is, I have to start the old version of FMW again...

2) the OBIA configuration manager is deployed WITHIN the OBIEE Server in FMW

That is, to use the components that I need from OBIA I have to deactivate selectively parts of the current deployment.

I do not see a big issue in doing it, but the Operations responsible would like to see an official documentation that describes the procedure and I couldn't find it.

An SR could help?

Ciao

MP

• Gianni Ceresa

That's exactly why I said that OAS doesn't touch your OBIA install: you keep all your current install, including WebLogic, FMW, ODI, OBIEE etc.

OAS does its own life on the side, it isn't aware of OBIA because it doesn't need to. You only migrate the content, not the server.

• Marco Poloni - PAW
    Marco Poloni - PAW Member Posts: 7 Green Ribbon

This is what I "didn't want to understand"...

Even if technically this is clearly working, from an Operations perspective is not really an optimal solution.

I do have a lot of components running that actually I do not need, wasting resources (mainly memory).

On top, to be sure that only the right content will be used, I have to avoid that someone is going to reach the OBIEE instance. That is, I have to remove the content and/or shut down part of the components.

I need to let OAS run on different ports (the other ones are used from OBIEE) - that is, I have some Firewall-Setup to be done between reverse-Proxy/Load Balancer and the Analytics Server.

On top I have to take care of 2 different FMW instances with different versions (Patching, ... all double).

Everything no rocket science but the kind of additional work that customer teams do not like.

At least now I have a clear checklist for the Upgrade procedure.

Thanks Gianni!

• Gianni Ceresa
    Answer ✓

I do get your point, but it's sadly a different generation of products: OBIA 11.1.1.10.3 is kind of stuck on the technical environment of OBIEE 12.2.1.3/.4 : WebLogic 12.2.1.3 and FMW 12.2.1.3.

OAS didn't go much further away as it's stuck on WebLogic 12.2.1.4 and FMW 12.2.1.4

But that little .1 of difference is enough to make things incompatible. It could maybe even work, but most of the pieces generally have checks on the version to prevent mixing things up.

The real solution will probably come when all these tools will move to WebLogic 14c (I believe I did read the plan for FMW 12c it upgrade there), because WebLogic 12c is dead (or about to die as it still has support only because there are these products out there requiring it).

Till everything will not migrated to 14c, you must keep your double environments.

I do understand your issues, you can keep as many components stopped as you want, a double WebLogic + FMW setup will need more resources.

My approach to it would be to put OAS somewhere else, on a different server, and use a proxy to have user accessing what you need them to see. You maybe already have a proxy if you have SSO, or you will anyway have one (because OAS does SSO only via a proxy). You can prevent people accessing the old OBIEE ports by also using the firewall on the server itself to block access to the ports etc.

It does require a bit more careful infrastructure planning, but it's the price to pay for now. You can always wait mid 2023 to see what versions are going to be used by the next OAS: if they are still on 12.2.1.4 you lost 6+ months waiting for the same result. If they move to a newer WebLogic + FMW there are chances that a newer version of OBIA running on that will also come (but maybe it will be another 6 months away).

• Gianni Ceresa

With all the respect for the people writing MOS documents: this is one of the most chaotic and poorly copy/pasted piece of content I have seen in quite some time (and I did send this feedback in the page).

"Hey, let's take an OAC note, call it as OAS and not even bother in renaming things or making it look like we didn't took an OAC note and just changed the title"

Still doesn't change much: a full new install of OAS is required and moving the content is just like any OBIEE 12c to OAS migration, but you never touch or modify the OBIEE coming with OBIA, it must stays exactly as it is.

PS: the public link for not employees is Doc ID 2684251.1

apps-infra