Forum Stats

  • 3,853,806 Users
  • 2,264,277 Discussions
  • 7,905,450 Comments

Discussions

Webutil - Client PC Prerequisites

39307
39307 Member Posts: 7
edited Dec 18, 2009 11:19AM in Forms
Hi,

I have a user that for some time has been running a form that uses Webutil to generate an MS Excel spreadsheet without any problems. This user has just had a complete rebuild on their PC (re-install of OS and all applications) and although then can run forms, when they try and run the form that uses Webutil to generate the spreadsheet, it just bombs out at the first 'client_ole2.create_obj' call. When this user runs the form on any other PC the Webutil call works fine which leads me to think it could be a client PC issue.

Here is the line of code from the form where its currently bombing out:

application := client_ole2.create_obj('Excel.Application');

The user is running with Jinitiator v1.28 and has the Java Runtime Environemnt / JVM installed on their PC.

Is anyone aware of any other Client PC prerequisites for using Webutil to generate spreadsheets or offer any other suggestions as to what could be going wrong ?

Thanks, Mark
Tagged:

Answers

  • Sarah QA
    Sarah QA Member Posts: 4,906 Silver Trophy
    hi


    i do not know what do u wanna achieve.But i am giving u an
    example:
    DECLARE
    APPLICATION PLS_INTEGER;
    WORKBOOKS PLS_INTEGER;
    ARGS PLS_INTEGER;
    WORKBOOK PLS_INTEGER;
    WORKSHEETS PLS_INTEGER;
    WORKSHEET PLS_INTEGER;
    BEGIN APPLICATION:=CLIENT_OLE2.CREATE_OBJ('EXCEL.APPLICATION');
    CLIENT_OLE2.SET_PROPERTY(APPLICATION,'VISIBLE',1);
    WORKBOOKS:=CLEINT_OLE2.GET_OBJ_PROPERTY (APPLICATION,'WORKBOOKS');
    ARGS:=CLIENT_OLE2.CREATE_ARGLIST;
    CLIENTS_OLE2.ADD_ARG(ARGS,FILE);
    WORKBOOK:=CLIENT_OLE2.GET_OGJ_PROPERTY (WOORKBOOKS,'OPEN',ARGS);
    CLIENT_OLE2.DESTROY_ARGLIST(ARGS);
    WORKSHEETS:=CLIENT_OLE2.GET_OBJ_PROPERTY (WORKBOOK,'WORKSHEETS');
    WORKSHEET:=CLIENT_OLE2.GET_OBJ_PROPERTY(WORKSHEETS,'ADD');
    END; 
    sarah
    Sarah QA
  • Andreas Weiden
    Andreas Weiden Member Posts: 10,871 Gold Crown
    Maybe the jacob.dll is not installed properly. Check $PROGRAM FILES\oracle\JInitiator 1.3.1.28\bin.
    There should be jacob.dll (along with JNIsharedstubs.dll, d2kwut60.dll). If not, check the webutil.cfg on the server if the download locations for these files is configured properly.
    Andreas Weiden
  • Arunkumar Ramamoorthy-Oracle
    Arunkumar Ramamoorthy-Oracle Member Posts: 5,880 Employee
    Hi Mark,

    When it is "bombing out", does it throw any exception in the Java / Jinitiator console ? If yes, can you post the exception you get there, which would help to find out the issue.

    -Arun
    Arunkumar Ramamoorthy-Oracle
  • 39307
    39307 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

    Sarah - thanks for the code snippet for using Webutil. I've compared your example with our program unit and they are pretty much the same. In our case the form causing us problems had been live without problems for about a year so were were pretty happy the code. We only had one user that couldn't run it so we suspected a client pc issue.

    Andreas / Arun - Thanks for the pointers to 'jacob.dll' and the Java / Jinitiator console window. I've often seen the 'java' icon in the system task tray on my PC when running forms but never realised that it could be opened to display a diagnostic log / trace ! When I opened it the source of the problem became clear. This is the entry in the log that gave it away:

    *08:30:19.470 ERROR>WUC-19 [URLDownload.pullFile()] Unable to write to local file C:\PROGRA~1\Oracle\JINITI~1.28\bin\jacob.dll. Failed to download URL*

    Basically our user had had his PC rebuit and the he didn't have write permissions to the oracle directories on his hard drive (C:\Program Files\oracle....'. We've changed his permissions and everything is working fine now.

    Thanks very much everyone, Mark
This discussion has been closed.