Forum Stats

• 3,840,354 Users
  • 2,262,592 Discussions
  • 7,901,237 Comments

Discussions

Windows 7 - ODBC for Office 2010 64 bit - MS ODBC Driver for Oracle

Answers

630255 Member Posts: 13
    I have follow the procedure that "Jam The Man" and "users575710" posted and it seems to work well. My problem is when I open previously created Excel Report. I am getting this error (see below). These report where created using ODBC/MS Query. The ODBC driver use was MS ODBC for Oracle. The sytem was Windows XP 32bit and Office 2003.

The error I am getting is

The Oracle™ client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle corp. and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3 (or greater) client software installation. You will be unable to use this driver until these components have been installed.

Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed

This error also occur when I use MS ODBC for Oracle in my WIndows 7 64 bit system using Office 2003. If I use "Oracle in Instantclient 11_2" (ODBC driver), I have no problem creating the report.

Likewise, report created in Win 7 64bit office 2003, I can't open it in Windows XP office 2003. The error is ,

MS ODBC Driver Manager, Data source name not found and no default driver specified

From my limited knowledge in this, It seems it has to do with the ODBC driver.

Any idea? Appreciate the help on this.
    630255 Member Posts: 13
    I am trying to follow up on the previous post I did.

Does anybody has any idea on this?

Thanks
    Tony
    45110 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Xperts, I have deployed a new server with Server 2008 R2. I tried the steps mentioned using administrator login and was able to connect using Excel 2007 to Oracle database, But I have a problem.

I created a local user (say X) and wanted the odbc to be available for this user also as I have Remote Desktop Service (formerly Terminal Server) enabled. When I login using X, I am not able to see the odbc connection. TNSPING works fine but odbc gives "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identified specificied Driver's SQLSetConnectATTR Failed". Can anyone help me or provide me some suggestions.

Thanks
    835376 Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone
    I am trying to connect to oracle database 10g rel2 64-bit running on solaris 10 from .net framework 4.0(2010) which is installed on windows 2008 64-bit server. I have installed oracle 11g 64-bit client on windows 2008, and additionally i have downloaded and extrated ODAC for .net 4.0 and set the path variable for ODAC and client and my tnsnames entry is working fine. But when iam trying to use assembly Oracle.Dataaccess.client its getting referenced but it fails to connect to database, by giving warning that assembly is not registered please somebody help me out i have stuck in between...
  • Gaillimh
    Gaillimh Member Posts: 40
    Hi all,
    I am running Excel 2003 on Windows 7 Home Premium.

I also have Oracle XE installed.

Do I have any chance of being able to get Excel 2003 to connect to Oracle XE using ODBC ?

If not, what are my options ?
    696513 Member Posts: 66
    Jeff,

I saw a number of posts, but I just had a similar problem. If your client app is 32 bit, read on. If your app and OS are both 64, skip this message (but be careful, sometimes apps run as 32 bit apps even when you expect them to run as 64 bit....)

If your client app is 32 bit and you install the 64 bit drivers, it won't work.

If you install the 32 bit drivers, the Windows ODBC manager you see is the 64 bit version and won't work. Find the one in the syswow64 folder (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe) and use that.

It wasn't until I removed the 64 bit Oracle, installed the 32 bit Oracle, and then used the syswow64 version of ODBC before I was able to get things working.

And this worked much better than the instant client, which gave me all kinds of fits (but probably works as well - once you learn the secrets.)

Take care,

JustMe
  • Gaillimh
    Gaillimh Member Posts: 40
    If client app is 32 bit - do you mean Excel 2003. I assume it is even though its installed on Windows 7.

How do I tell if my version of Oracle XE is 64 bit and not 32 bit ?
    696513 Member Posts: 66
    Gailimh,

Any app that was developed and released before Windows Vista is most likely a 32 bit app. And most apps released after Vista came out are still 32 bit apps unless you purchased the 64 bit version.

I don't believe there even was a 64 bit version of Office 2003.

Remember that a 32 bit app that is running on a 64 bit OS is still a 32 bit app - so it will still need the 32 bit drivers (yes, it can get confusing..)

Also, remember that some apps can run in either 32 or 64 bit mode. When running those on a 64 bit machine, they usually run as 64 bit apps, but if they make calls to 32 bit libraries, Win 7 might make them run as 32 bit. What fun....

Take care,

JustMe
  • EmryaH
    EmryaH Member Posts: 4
    user12203844 - I ran into a problem with 64-bit oracle client on Solaris still needing at 32-bit link lib to get sqlplus to connect to the 64-bit database. You might be running into a similar problem. Can you see if the 32-bit client on windows will work for you?

BTW, thank you to everyone else here. The information in this thread is very helpful and solved my issues.
    847347 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    Can any one help me with the information, If the Oracle 9i ODBC drivers supported on Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit, Access 2007 as the front end and Oracle 9i database as the backend.
    If the 9i drivers are not supported on Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit which version is the supported version.

Thanks
    Srini
This discussion has been closed.