• 2,262,175 Discussions
  • 7,900,088 Comments

Discussions

Windows 7 - ODBC for Office 2010 64 bit - MS ODBC Driver for Oracle

124»

Answers

696513 Member Posts: 66
    Srini,

Posting the same question in multiple threads just makes things confusing when people do searches. Please see the answer I gave you in the Re: ODBC driver doesn't appear in ODBC data source thread (9443531

JustMe
  • sm*290887*m7
    sm*290887*m7 Member Posts: 309
    Hi all,

I have win 7 64 bits and excel 2007 32 bits installed. I have followed the instruction from "Jam The Man" to install oracle client in my local and everything was running fine till I can look for the ODBC connection to my oracle server. But, when I tried to connect the ODBC via Excel 2007, I have encountered the error of "The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the driver and application". If I tried to do the connection again, from the data connection wizard, I have select ODBC DSN, and the screen will give me list of ODBC data sources that I have created previously from the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32 but once I have selected, the screen has prompt another error message "Unable to connect to data source. Reason: Access denied. You either made a mistake typing in your user id and/ or password, or you do not have permission to access the database server."

Which step am I went wrong ? As I can connect to the server from control panel but was unable to connect to the server via excel 2007. Any one can help me please!

Thanks

Lim
    Lim,

The reason you are having trouble is that his instructions apply to the 64 bit Win 7 AND the 64 bit Office. You have the 32 bit office.

My approach would be:
    1) Open the 32 bit version of ODBC administrator and remove any entries you have created. The 32 bit version is C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe. If you just run the link that say ODBC Administrator, you are usually running the 64 bit version.
    2) Remember that the 64 bit version of the ODBC Administrator can't see 32 bit ODBC drivers and vice versa
    3) Go to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/112010-win32soft-098987.htm and download the 32 bit drivers
    4) During install, choose the custom option and, at a minimum, check SQL*Plus, Oracle Net, and Oracle ODBC Driver. You can choose other options if you know you also need those features, but these 3 are all you need for most ODBC situations.
    5) Now run the Oracle Net Manager to set up the TNSNames.ora file per whatever settings you need. You should be able to run a test from here as well (provided you have a login name/pw)
    6) Now run the 32 bit version of ODBC Manager and setup the ODBC drivers.

Take care,

JustMe
  • sm*290887*m7
    sm*290887*m7 Member Posts: 309
    I was unable to access the link that you provided. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/112010-win32soft-098987.htm

Please resend again. Thanks.

Regards,
    Lim
    Sorry for the expired link. Here is the main link to the downloads:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html
    From there, choose either 32 or 64 bit and click on see all
    Then choose the "Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Client (11.x.x.x.x) for Microsoft Windows (xx-bit)"

I wish that Oracle wouldn't just delete the download page but instead redirect them to the index.... Oh well.

Take care,

JustMe
  • No, I was couldn't managed to connect from excel via 32 or 64 bits to my 64 bits PC.

My last choice to make it work is by installing 64 bits of office 2010 and it solve my problem right a way rather than spending week but with no result.

Still could not find out why others are able to connect their office 2007 ( 32 bits ) with 64 bits machine.

Regards,
    Lim
    Lim,

Not sure why you couldn't get 32 bit to work, but as long as the 64 bit is working for you, I guess it doesn't matter much.

Thanks for the update.

JustMe
  • rageDev
    rageDev Member Posts: 25
    Hi Guys,

I'm having the same problem on my Access 2007. I'm fairly new to Oracle and I need help to make an odbc connection to a remote server.

I've installed the client and basic lite into my C:\Oracle but everything else that people are talking about, like tnsnames.ora or configuration tools etc, is non-existent in my folder. I'm at lost since I don't know where to put the IP address or username and password. I'm guessing it is because I don't really have an Oracle database installed on my machine. My Oracle Home only exists because I have installed the Oracle Jdeveloper 11g.

Do I need to install the Oracle Database 11g to be able to set up an instant client? I figured that since it is just a client set up that I wouldn't need the whole package.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks
  • gdarling - oracle
    gdarling - oracle Member Posts: 2,034
    edited Jul 13, 2011 10:49AM
    It's best to open a new thread rather than piggybacking on a thread as long as this.

To configure a DSN, open the ODBC administrator, click the System DSN tab, click Add, select the Oracle ODBC driver. In the dialogue that follows, give the DSN a name, fill in your username, and for TNS Service Name fill in //host:port/service_name where
    host = the name of the machine the db is on
    port = the port the listener is on
    service_name = the servicename of the identifier.

//host:port/servicename is the form of the connect string where you enter the information directly and avoid needing tnsnames.
    Your dba should be able to give you the info for those three things if you dont already have it.

Hope it helps,
    Greg
This discussion has been closed.