• 3,825,165 Users
  • 2,260,474 Discussions
  • 7,896,430 Comments

Discussions

Oracle service orcl not found in windows services

650105 Member Posts: 454
edited Jan 25, 2010 8:54AM in General Database Discussions
hello
i'm facing a very serious problem. MY server ORacleserviceorcl not found in services. all services currently up and running. but ORCL service not show there and my database is down how i start my database. i found this problem first time. plz help me how to Start oracle. my ORacle version 10g on windows server 2003

Answers

• G777
    G777 Member Posts: 480
    Maybe ORADIM has some option to check/repair it.
    Look also at the System/application event logs for any problems related to that service.
    How i check oradim? i did not find ORACLE.exe in bin folder. i think antivirus delete this exe. how can i create it. plz help how can i star service orcl.
    plz help me how to Run oracle in this situation any idea plz i dont have backup. any idea any thing to run oracle
    plz help i'm waiting for ur response anyone can help me. i'm fuly disable. plz help how i run oracle???
  • Niall Litchfield
    Niall Litchfield Member Posts: 976 Bronze Badge
    Oracle Studnet wrote:
    How i check oradim? i did not find ORACLE.exe in bin folder. i think antivirus delete this exe. how can i create it. plz help how can i star service orcl.
    Well if you don't have a complete Oracle Install you'll need to install the same software again - I'd suggest in a new Oracle Home. Once you've done that you can create the service with oradim from the new home and then move the initialisation parameter file to the new home and start the service up.

That all said I very, very much doubt the AV would delete oracle unless you have already succumbed to a virus, in which case you'll need to deal with that appropriately first.

Niall
    i have install Oracle complete. every thing was fine last nite but in morning developer told me we are not able to connect with database. when i check i found in services ORacle Service orcl not present i tried very hard to recover but fail. if u can give me favour i gave u my server live ip u can connect to my server by just giving IP in remote admin and check my server i'm really greatfull to u.
  • Niall Litchfield
    Oracle Studnet wrote:
    i have install Oracle complete. every thing was fine last nite but in morning developer told me we are not able to connect with database. when i check i found in services ORacle Service orcl not present i tried very hard to recover but fail. if u can give me favour i gave u my server live ip u can connect to my server by just giving IP in remote admin and check my server i'm really greatfull to u.
    In a word No. You absolutely should not let people you've never met onto your systems over the internet. Ever.

Niall Litchfield
    http://www.orawin.info/
  • Charles Hooper
    Charles Hooper Member Posts: 1,317 Gold Badge
    edited Jan 22, 2010 10:43AM
    Niall,

Do you think that the OP should try the following command to re-create the service:
    C:\> ORADIM -NEW -SID ORCL
    As far as I have been able to determine, that command will not cause an issue, and will return an error if the service already exists.

To the OP: It is possible that a utility, such as HiJackThis, was used to remove the service, the Windows registry is corrupt, someone used ORADIM to delete the service, someone was hacking away in the registry and accidentally removed the entry for the service, or any number of other possibilities (I am not sure if MSCONFIG will remove a service when that program disables the service, but that might be another possibility, and dropping the database is another possibility).

Charles Hooper
    Co-author of "Expert Oracle Practices: Oracle Database Administration from the Oak Table"
    http://hoopercharles.wordpress.com/
    IT Manager/Oracle DBA
    K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.

Edited by: Charles Hooper on Jan 22, 2010 10:42 AM
    Added the note about dropping the database as a possible cause - see if the datafiles still exist.
  • If you know the name of the service, you should be able to recreate the service with the following command:

oradim -new -sid orcl -startmode auto -srvcstart system -shutmode immediate

for more information on oradim, just open a cmd window and type oradim and hit <enter>

I could not agree more with Niall Litchfield, never allow anyone you do not know to connect to your servers. May be this is why the service is missing first place.

See, the oradim command can be used to create an instance but also to delete an instance.

The problem you are facing usually happens when you restore your system to a point in time where the database was not installed. This means that the database itself could still be available on disk, however, the registry entries are gone.

Therefore, by using the oradim command, you should be able to recreate the instance.

Daniel Da Meda
  • Niall Litchfield
    Charles Hooper wrote:
    Niall,

Do you think that the OP should try the following command to re-create the service:
    C:\> ORADIM -NEW -SID ORCL
    As far as I have been able to determine, that command will not cause an issue, and will return an error if the service already exists.
    Hi Charles

Yes that's the correct command to use, however if oracle.exe doesn't exist in %ORACLE_HOME%\bin then the install is, to put it technically, somewhat hosed. This sort of situation really does require someone who knows what they are doing (Oracle Support spring to mind) to take a look. If the service has gone and the binaries are missing then some sort of recovery is in order (and I'd want to be confident about the server state first).

Niall
This discussion has been closed.