• 7,879,604 Comments

Discussions

Denormalizing a column that is a partition index into another format

735819 Member Posts: 22
edited Feb 2, 2010 1:44PM in SQL & PL/SQL
While looking at a poor performing query, we see:
- a timestamp column
- that timestamp is a partition index
- that timestamp columnn is manipulated with a to_char to make a day variable in the sql
- the day variable is used in a join

I see some information at another site saying that doing a denormalization like that on a partition index will force table scans across partitions.

Is it correct that the partition index will not be used if the Day variable is used as a join key?

If so, would a fix be to either remove the Day from the join or create a day dimension table and use a STAR_TRANSFORMATION hit in a join?
Tagged:

Answers

• damorgan
    damorgan Member Posts: 14,464 Bronze Crown
    I see no version number
    I see no DDL
    I see no DML
    I see no explain plan report generated using DBMS_XPLAN.DISPLAY

You will see no help in response to your inquiry.

Tuning can not be done in a vacuum.
    Currently running in 10g. It was designed probably in 8i.

The rest is confidential
  • Centinul
    Centinul Member Posts: 6,871 Bronze Crown
    JMarkW wrote:
    Currently running in 10g. It was designed probably in 8i.

The rest is confidential
    That's too bad. You can't provide anything? Not even a made up example that illustrates the problem?

So it sounds like you are applying a function to a column name and then performing a join based on the result of this function. If that is correct, you may be able to create what's called a Function-Based Index. For example this is a sample FBI:
    CREATE INDEX TEST_FBI ON TEST (TO_CHAR(TSTAMP,'YYYYMMDD'));
    That may provide some immediate benefit to your situation. Don't forget to gather statistics on the table after you create this index.
    I'm looking to verify information from another source. So far I have not seen the same information anywhere else.

http://www.orafaq.com/tuningguide/partition%20prune.html

Never denormalize the partition key into other columns, because queries on those other columns will not partition prune. eg. If calendar_date were the partition key, do not create another column such as calendar_month that is derived from calendar_date. Instead, create a date lookup (dimension) table that does the denormalization for you and use the STAR_TRANSFORMATION hint. eg.

SELECT /*+ STAR_TRANSFORMATION*/ *
    FROM big_partitioned a, months b
    WHERE b.calendar_month = '200304'
    AND a.calendar_date BETWEEN b.month_start and b.month_end
  • damorgan
    damorgan Member Posts: 14,464 Bronze Crown
    Two thoughts.

The first is that your explanation is nonsensical. Lets assume the following query is confidential.

SELECT secret_password FROM our_confidential_information WHERE dept_name = 'CIA';

Fine. But this query is not:

SELECT test_column FROM test_table WHERE dept_name = 'CATS';

The second thought is that you should not ask for help if you are not willing to post sufficient information for someone to help you.
    This is more like it:

tableA - partitioned by month using a timestamp (Oracle timestamp date type). The entire table is 10 terabytes in size with 60 partitions.

tableB - indexed by a year/week field (ie. 201007). This table is small without partitions.

The join is done by

select count(0)
    from tableA a,
    tableB b
    where to_char((timestamp,'IYYYIW')) = b.yearweek
  • Centinul
    Instead of applying a function to the column located in the large table, why not apply a function to the column in the smaller table?
    edited Feb 2, 2010 12:43PM
    That is what I asked the app dev personnel .....

Edited by: JMarkW on Feb 2, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Centinul
    edited Feb 2, 2010 1:06PM
    Maybe something like this?
    SELECT  COUNT(0)
    FROM    TABLEA A
    ,       TABLEB B
    WHERE   A.TSTAMP        >=      TRUNC(TO_DATE(SUBSTR(YEARWEEK,1,4) || '0105','YYYYMMDD'),'IYYY') + (SUBSTR(YEARWEEK,5,2) - 1) * 7
    AND     A.TSTAMP        <       TRUNC(TO_DATE(SUBSTR(YEARWEEK,1,4) || '0105','YYYYMMDD'),'IYYY') + SUBSTR(YEARWEEK,5,2) * 7   
    Please note that I haven't tested it thoroughly.

What would may be even better is to skip this function approach altogether. Have you thought about storing WEEK_START and WEEK_END in your TABLEB as separate columns? That way these values could both be indexed and it might provide even better access.

Edited by: Centinul on Feb 2, 2010 1:04 PM
    Centinul
    Very nice SQL!

It was correct except for need a - 1 after the second trunc.

We can work with that SQL to test the how the optomizer selects the join path
This discussion has been closed.