Forum Stats

• 3,827,489 Users
  • 2,260,784 Discussions
  • 7,897,278 Comments

Discussions

Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be i

756363 Member Posts: 1
edited Feb 1, 2011 4:33PM in Oracle Provider for OLE DB
I am creating a new dabase application using VS2008, c#, Oracle 11 database, and Oracle 11g ODAC 11.1.0.7.20 with Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio. The database server is running win32. The developing computer is a 64bit processor running win32. I am getting the following error: "Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed."

I am able to retreive and update data using a gridview with no problems as long as they are text, date columns, or hardcoded (text and values typed directly into the aspx page) combox columns. If I change the comboboxcolumn and point it to a DataSourceID and put it in edit mode I get the above error. If I add a combobox directly to a form and point it to the same DataSourceID and run the form the data displays in the combobox and can be selected. Everything I find concerning this error points to making sure the web.config and machine.config file are updated. I believe mine are. Do you have any suggestions:

Web.config:
<compilation debug="true">
<assemblies>
<add assembly="Oracle.DataAccess, Version=2.111.7.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89B483F429C47342"/>
<add assembly="Oracle.Web, Version=2.111.7.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89B483F429C47342"/>
</assemblies>
</compilation>

Machine.config:
<configuration>
<configSections>
<section name="oracle.dataaccess.client" type="System.Data.Common.DbProviderConfigurationHandler, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" />
</configSections>
<system.data>
<DbProviderFactories>
<add name="Oracle Data Provider for .NET" invariant="Oracle.DataAccess.Client" description="Oracle Data Provider for .NET" type="Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleClientFactory, Oracle.DataAccess, Version=2.111.7.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342" />
<add name="OracleClient Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.OracleClient" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for Oracle" type="System.Data.OracleClient.OracleClientFactory, System.Data.OracleClient, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" />
</DbProviderFactories>
</system.data>
</configuration>

Answers

• B of Carbon
    B of Carbon Member Posts: 9
    edited Feb 1, 2011 4:33PM
    Well this is another fine mess between Oracle and Microsoft. I am shocked at how much trouble I am having trying to connect to an Oracle database from Visual Studio 2008. I'm getting the same error. After downloading the XCopy of the ODAC I wasn't even sure the install and configuration were ever really done. I did get a successful connection message which is nice but this .NET framework Data Provider error message still lingers.

Handling of the Oracle XE database product and SQL Server 2008 are worlds apart. The administration of the database is completely different.
    What I continue to be frustrated with is the amount of configuration that needs to be done in .NET and Microsoft files without documentation.
    The only info available is put out there by nice folks who cared enough to save someone else a lot of headaches. I really don't understand why
    we have to become system administrators to get a database connection. I think back at how easy ODBC connections where and wonder why?

Having to deal with assemblies, client references, data providers especially at the web config level is nuts to me as a prerequisite of connecting
    to an Oracle database from Visual Studio. The fact is that I am not even going to start to build a web application unless I know I can get to the
    data in my database. Why in the heck would I be thinking about a web config file when I just want to make a simple connection?

My first thought was not to try and access proprietory database products from other vendor IDEs. It really should be a no brainer but after seSeing
    the problems it has made me reconsider. If the idea of grid or cloud computing is the wave of the future why on Earth would I want to construct
    such tightly coupled configuration of my .NET development environment to use an Oracle database?

Wanting to use reports is the problem. I did not see support for Crystal Reports in JDeveloper and I suspect that this is so because Oracle pushes
    BI and has another reporting tool. I can't see using XML with web services as they don't seem practical for returning multiple line reports that may
    grow quite large.

So if it is really this hard to use Oracle in Visual Studio I am just going to scrap the idea. I may run a couple of reports using BI and the probably
    stinky report tool that comes with JDeveloper that nobody uses out there.

Hard to believe.

Edited by: B of Carbon on Feb 1, 2011 4:33 PM
This discussion has been closed.