• 3,855,210 Users
  • 2,264,475 Discussions
  • 7,905,930 Comments

Discussions

Where to get information on Java Generics

843793 Member Posts: 41,732 Green Ribbon
edited Apr 11, 2003 5:53AM in Generics
Hi all
In a previous life I have used C++ templates. My question is where can I get information on Generics in java,
a) Generics proposed/adopted by Sun
b) Any 3-party , Open Source Generics proposed or in developement that use the Java platform
c) Why the hell to we need them..... I am sure we go on yapping on this topic , but with respect to all opions where can I find consice information on this.

Comments

• dcminter
    dcminter Member Posts: 6,281

(a) See the links at the top of the forum
    (b) See the links at the top of the forum
    (c) See the links at the top of the forum

Or

(d) type "java generics" into a popular search engine near you.

I'm reasonably sure you'll hate them. Personally I think they're great.

D.
    c) Why the hell to we need them?
    I'd be happy to answer that question, as soon as you answer why Java needs the import statement, the for statement, and the switch statement.
    I'd be happy to answer that question, as soon as you
    answer why Java needs the import statement, the for
    statement, and the switch statement.
    Well for, int, switch, import are the basic constructs on which the java language is founded ,but then why the sad devotion to bringing back to life monsters from the C and C++ realms ?
    I'd be happy to answer that question, as soon as
    you
    answer why Java needs the import statement, the for
    statement, and the switch statement.
    Well for, int, switch, import are the basic constructs
    on which the java language is founded...
    That's circular reasoning. None of them are needed. All practical programming languages have features that are not needed.
    That's circular reasoning. None of them are needed.
    All practical programming languages have features that
    are not needed.
    Hence the call to insert Generics into Java =)

No really I mean the Java language in its current manifestation is fulfilling its role . Then why the need for Generics � .

Why the need for "for" statements? I can always use while instead. Why the need for import statements? I can always fully spell out class names instead. Why the need for switch statements? I can always use if-else if-else if-else instead.

Can you see now you're asking an absolutely pointless question?
    Why the need for "for" statements? I can always use
    while instead. Why the need for import statements? I
    can always fully spell out class names instead. Why
    the need for switch statements? I can always use
    if-else if-else if-else instead.

Can you see now you're asking an absolutely pointless
    question?
    To the contrary,
    I been asking "what is the value addition of Generics to Java", how will this enrich the language or make it more productive or what ever...

And schapel,your contribution to other discussions have been more substantial then the rhetoric on my question.
    I am attempting to find out how and why to employ generics.
  • brucechapman
    brucechapman Member Posts: 466
    >
    And schapel,your contribution to other discussions
    have been more substantial then the rhetoric on my
    question.
    You ungrateful bag of pond sludge - are you sore because schapel failed to give you the same amount of effort as he/she gives other questions?

Maybe it is because you are asking pretty much the same question, yet you haven't managed to see the answer in those previous discussions. Maybe Schapel is getting impatient with the same questions over and over again.

This is a community where we help each other, not a Creche where the few help all those who can't (or won't) help themselves. Schapel is a valuable member of this community, and has made some of the most valuable contributions in my mind. He/She has even done more than their share of baby sitting. if that makes you jealous, then go get a life, preferably somewhere where you won't annoy the rest of us.

Bruce

P.S. Yes, this is rhetorical as well, so please don't reply. (just go away).
    I am attempting to find out how and why to employ
    generics.
    Read the spec, read the discussions here, understand your own needs. If you have specific questions, do your homework then by all means ask them here. If after all this you still can't answer your own question, maybe you have chosen the wrong career - might I suggest road sweeping as an alternative.
  • dcminter
    dcminter Member Posts: 6,281

If you didn't like templates in C++ then you're not going to like them in Java. It's as simple as that.

Java grows because there is demand for features. If you don't require those features, there is no obligation to use them.

D.
This discussion has been closed.