• 3,839,012 Users
  • 2,262,438 Discussions
  • 7,900,836 Comments

Discussions

Applet Security and Web Servers

843807 Member Posts: 46,582
edited Sep 25, 2002 8:03AM in Java Applet Development
Hi,

I know that applets cannot read or write to the client's file system and cannot communicate with any network server other than the server from where the applet code is served.

My question is that given these security measures, is it possible to have an applet read the contents of a directory on the web server, and display this list of files in a browser window on a client machine?

I am doing this is Java 1.1 (so my users won't have to use the Java plug-in).

I don't think this should be a big deal, since the web server is where the Java code origianlly exists, and applets are not restricted from commimicating with their web servers.

Thanks,

Steve Cromer

Comments

Hi,
    I had this very problem yesterday..u can read a file from the webserver if u have granted permission in the policy file..
    check this link..hope this helps..
    Hi,
    I had this very problem yesterday..u can read a file from the webserver if u have granted permission in the policy file..
    check this link..hope this helps..
    http://www.rgagnon.com/javadetails/java-0052.html
    hello,
    i have now a problem to write a simple file on my local user.
    do you know if an applet can do this?
    and if not, how can i do? i heard about buying certificate. what do you think about this?
    thank you you very much in advance for your time,
    olivier.
    Single way is signing of your applets. Also you can use JavaWebStart application, he has services for work of files(It similar "FileUpload" interface in HTML).

================================
    Sincerely,
    Melnikov V
    AlarIT programmer
    http://www.AlarIT.com
    ================================
This discussion has been closed.