Forum Stats

• 3,875,873 Users
  • 2,266,977 Discussions
  • 7,912,362 Comments

Discussions

Versioning

Greetings,

I was hoping to get everyone's input/opinions about various methods of software version control.

I am using netbeans to develop a software application (by myself) for a company. The software is developed (and deployed to the customer) in project phases (1 project per month has been the current pace) with all implemented features working 100% at deployment, but not all features implemented (until future phases).

I have used Subversion in the past with TortoiseSVN when I worked on a team of 7, developing a software package. And, I won't say SVN is bad, but it can be a bit cumbersome at times. To me, SVN is about keeping a working, compilable project together while everyone has their hands in the jar. We used SVN very infrequently for version control and base lining the program.

What I was thinking about doing is: Every time I have a baselined version (working, ready to deploy version), I would create a new netbeans project that is an exact duplicate of the old version. From then on out, any critical, "must be fixed immediately" bug fixes would be changed on the old version, and all future development work would take place on the new version (the idea being that the new version could be about 50% complete at a time when a bug needs a fixin). Eventually the old version will fade away, and the project can be closed (with the contents stored away for (pointless, perhaps) archiving).

Does this method I've concocted sound reasonable? Can anyone see flaws? Does anyone have a better idea?

=) I just like hearing people's opinions. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.