• 3,783,130 Users
  • 2,254,734 Discussions
  • 7,880,285 Comments

Discussions

Configure/Extending with modules

843807 Member Posts: 46,582
edited Feb 14, 2003 5:32PM in Java Desktop Applications
Hi,

Is there a way to extend/configure a java Desktop application easily? I explain. I could develop lot's of JavaBeans with specific functionalities. I would like to add a set of them to a base application [the heart] -> without recompiling with the help of a config file (ie xml one) i could add or remove these modules. Ie accounting for US and BE are quite different. I could remove the BE accounting and replace it by the US one without any recompilation of the code.

How can i do this? I heard about JMX but it is more server side than client side (MBean...) if i have well understood and i dont have the time now to explore JMX.

JMi

Comments

Nobody can answer? ;-)
    Dynamic loading is hardly easy even with Java. Java makes it simple, but you still need a good understanding of how classloaders work. Generally, modules are loaded in their own classloader that gets thrown away when the module needs to be reloaded. In this way, chunks of code can be loaded and reloaded as long as each loading stays in its own classloader. Some projects (such as http://www.jesktop.org) use a framework that handles this for them. It's up to you if you want to reuse a framework like Avalon or create your own.
    Thanks for the answer

JMi
    You should look at netbeans.org

they have a platform release that allows you to deploy jar files on top of the currently deployed desktop application. This will in essence allow you to deploy or swap new functionality into an exisiting desktop application.

this is at least my take on netbeans platfrom(not the IDE).

you use xml embedeed in your jar file to explain how your newly added jar plugs into the deployed desktop application.
This discussion has been closed.