• 2,254,734 Discussions
  • 7,880,284 Comments

Discussions

PC - Cellphone connectivity

843807 Member Posts: 46,582
edited Feb 13, 2003 1:47PM in Java Desktop Applications
Hello friends,

Happy new year 2003.

I want to develop a software that can download all mails and addresses from the cellphone like SONY, NEC, ERICSSON etc on PDC,GSM,CDMA,FOMA system. So I need some information about the Standard to connect a cellphone with the PC and the data format that follow the all handset manufacturer to store the mails and adresses.

So, how can I connect a Cellphone with PC using USB port,Serial port or Ir port.

I hope you all will get me right and help me.
Thank you very much.

Ekramul Huq

Comments

I think you should look into MIDP and MIDlets. There you can develop java programs that can connect to mobile devices. I think thats a good place to start.
    I want to develop a software that can download all
    mails and addresses from the cellphone like SONY, NEC,
    ERICSSON etc on PDC,GSM,CDMA,FOMA system. So I need
    some information about the Standard to connect a
    cellphone with the PC and the data format that follow
    the all handset manufacturer to store the mails and
    adresses.

So, how can I connect a Cellphone with PC using USB
    port,Serial port or Ir port.
    I've build an SMS API last year, and I just connected to my Irda mobile phone by enabling RS-232 over Irda in W2K ( you need some extra drivers for it, but look at www.object-xp.com; they say where to search for it in their faq or manual I believe)

Anyway, you can just connect to the phone using RS-232 using a connector cable compatible with the phone. Try it with HyperTerminal.

The command to use are AT commands, but you can find a standard at www.etsi.org. look for "ETSI GTS GSM 07.07 V5.0.0 (1996-07)" or a neweer version. The title is "Digital cellular telecommunications system (Phase 2+) (GSM);AT command set for GSM Mobile Equipment (ME) (GSM 07.07)" I believe this is the doc I used. I'm going to souble check that when I'm back home.

I suggest to experiment with Hyperterminal and execute some command. Then move to a Java program using javax.comm

Using USB never worked for me, and also notice that most manufacturers have added their own AT commands to retrieve vendor specific information. Phonebook however is standardized.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

greetz.
    I seem to have remembered it good. The document you need is the ETSI GSM 7.07 doc (or maybe a never version). In there all is explained to communicate with a mobile phone throug a serial port using AT commands. (If you are not familiar with using AT commands, search for an introduction on the internet, there is plenty to find about it)

About the vendor specific docs, here is a link to one from Siemens

http://www.my-siemens.com/com.aperto/MySiemens/Files/Addon/tt/hq/mw/hd/hd/s45_me45_step2atcommandset.pdf

I assume simular can be found from other vendors to.

greetz
This discussion has been closed.