Forum Stats

• 3,836,754 Users
  • 2,262,182 Discussions
  • 7,900,094 Comments

Discussions

5.0 and 4.2 side by side on the same machine?

807575 Member Posts: 16,875
On the workshopfaq page (question 9 below) it says that workshop 5.0 and workshop 4.2 can reside on the same machine. My question is how does this work? (How do you install 5.0 on top of 4.2 and how do you use them side by side?) A pointer to some documentation explaining this in a bit more detail would suffice?

From the Frequently Asked Questions about WorkShop Developer Products

Question 9: Can one machine have WorkShop 5.0, 4.2, and 4.0 installed?

No. WorkShop 4.2 and 4.0 cannot be installed on the same machine. You must install them on different machines if you want to use both products. The WorkShop 5.0 products and either the WorkShop 4.2 or 4.0 products can reside on the same machine, however.

Comments

807575 Member Posts: 16,875
    I'll answer my own question. I found what I needed in the on-line documentation.

http://docs.sun.com/

.1 Keeping Previous Software Versions
    To support both previous Developer Products software releases and the new WorkShop software on the same machine, select a different installation directory for the new software.
    For example, if your previously installed compilers are in /opt/SUNWspro, you may want to install the new compilers in /current/SUNWspro by creating a directory called /current in a file system with sufficient disk space. You would also need to have two separate settings for your PATH and MANPATH environment variables; one setting for your preexisting area, and the other setting for the /current area.
This discussion has been closed.