• 2,260,826 Discussions
  • 7,897,395 Comments

Discussions

Oracle Perl connectivity

rahulras
rahulras Member Posts: 876
edited Sep 30, 2003 9:41PM in PHP
Friends ,

I know that this is a PHP forum and not Perl .
But I could not one suitable for Perl , so posting it here , just assumming that there may be many people with the knowledge .

I am running Oracle 8.1.7 on Redhat Linux 8 , on IBM Pentium 4 PC.
What I want is, I want to run Perl programs with Oracle interface . Want to interact with Oracle database .

Please convey ,
1) What type of software/driver/modules I have to install ? DBI or DBD or what ?
2) Where from I can get that ?
3) How to install that ( I know there will be documents for this ) ?

Please help .

Regards

Comments

• Ajcarr-Oracle
    Ajcarr-Oracle Member Posts: 76 Employee
    Hi,

One of the best references I have found for Oracle & Perl is the book <b>Perl for Oracle DBAs</b>, By Andy Duncan, Jared Still [see http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oracleperl/]. It covers how to set up the Perl - Oracle environment, links to lot's of "free" stuff and tools and utilities for DBA's.

I hope this helps :)...

Thanks ~ Andrew
    259415 Member Posts: 1
    I believe you'll need both the DBI and DBD modules. You'll need the DBD (DB Driver) and the DBI (DB Interface) I would check them out at CPAN.org/modules.

You can read through the modules.

Also, if you are looking for perl BBs, the best place for that is general sites, like google groups. If you look around you'll find a vast wealth of knowledge from perl coders on interacting with databases in general. In fact, I heard from a friend that Apache now can directly interact with Oracle with pl/sql or sql with an Apache Module.

Good Luck.

TS
    3047 Member Posts: 307
    I heard from a friend that Apache now can directly
    interact with Oracle with pl/sql or sql with an Apache
    Module.
    This may be the mod_plsql that Oracle ship with the
    HTTP Server for iAS (the Application Server).

A search for "mod_plsql" on OTN pulls up a lot of
    references.

-- CJ
This discussion has been closed.