Forum Stats

• 3,874,115 Users
  • 2,266,686 Discussions
  • 7,911,730 Comments

Discussions

Java SE Development Kit (JDK) not found. when installing ADK

I am trying to install the Andriod Development Kit (installer_r08-windows) on my Windows 7 laptop. I have installed the Java SE SDK without issues trying both the default "C:\Program Files\..." directory first, the the "C:\Program Files (x86)\" directory (after removing prior installations, rebooting, etc.)

The exact error message is "Java SE Development Kit (JDK) not found."

I have created the system variable JAVA_HOME to be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_23".
I have added this string to the PATH system variable ";%JAVA_HOME%\bin"

Typing "javac" at the command prompt does NOT return an error, so it appears to be installed correctly.

What's wrong?
TIP

Edited by: user13756351 on Jan 17, 2011 9:57 AM

Answers

831847 Member Posts: 2
    Found it. The Android SDK wants the 32-bit version of the JDK installed. I assumed that since I was using 64 bit Windows 7 that was the correct version to install.
    860248 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 7, 2011 10:43AM
    Actually, it doesn't really need or want the 32 bit version. It's just a dumb error in the SDK installation procedure: when you get that error message, simply click the 'back' button, and then 'next', then it WILL find the installed 64-bit version. (When installed in its default directory, not the (x86) one. No path/environment variables needed at this point).

The infuriating thing is that there is NO way to provide feed-back to the folks at developer.android.com and point this out to the SDK developers, or the SDK wanna-be users.
    It's causing MAJOR headaches to tons of people, and it it requires just a very simple fix ... if only we could make them aware of it.
    MAJOR fail over at http://developer.android.com .
  • jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Member Posts: 24,877 Gold Badge
    Maybe go to a conference and ask them why they think that their code is so perfect that they do not need to provide a feedback method?
This discussion has been closed.