• 3,827,151 Users
  • 2,260,746 Discussions
  • 7,897,182 Comments

Discussions

Provider cannot be found

835057 Member Posts: 4
edited Jan 31, 2011 1:28AM in Oracle Provider for OLE DB
Hi folks,

I have seen a lot of posts on this problem but they have not worked and are rather old - 2006-2008.

The problem I am facing is when I try to run a third-party software (that is supposed to connect to Oracle DB) on Windows Server 2008 64bit, it gives this error. (it is supported on 64bit)

But no such problem when running it on a WinXP.

I suspect it is either a wrongly installed / configured OraDB client, or insufficient Windows userid privileges.

I would really appreciate if someone could share some up-to-date information that could help.

OraDB is 10g R5

Thanx!
SM

Best Answer

• gdarling - oracle
    gdarling - oracle Member Posts: 2,034
    Answer ✓
    90% of the issues I've seen that result in that error are due to bit mismatch. 32 bit apps need 32 bit Oracle client, 64 bit needs 64 bit.

Before you go any further...
    1) how many bits is the app process? Open task manager, process tab, find the process name. Is there a *32 next to it?
    2) did you install 32 bit or 64 bit Oracle client software?

Greg

Answers

• gdarling - oracle
    gdarling - oracle Member Posts: 2,034
    Answer ✓
    90% of the issues I've seen that result in that error are due to bit mismatch. 32 bit apps need 32 bit Oracle client, 64 bit needs 64 bit.

Before you go any further...
    1) how many bits is the app process? Open task manager, process tab, find the process name. Is there a *32 next to it?
    2) did you install 32 bit or 64 bit Oracle client software?

Greg
    Hi Greg,

The application could not even launch, but I believe it is inherently 32bit. There is no 64bit version and it is stated 64bit Windows is supported.

I actually installed (inadvertently actually) the 32bit client at first, but I hit a problem when testing using sqlplus, not knowing about UAC in WinServer2008 R2, so I did not even install the application.

So, DBA installed 64bit client, and only then did I install the application and hit the provider not found error.

I have actually disabled UAC and tried reinstalling the Client Windows Interface (which contains provider for OLE DB) but hit the same problem.

I will probably install the 32bit client again based on your feedback here.

Rgds,
    SM
    For the benefit of anyone else encountering such a problem, it was resolved by uninstalling the 64bit client and installing the 32bit one, as Greg had indicated.

Further info that might be useful: the software still needs to be run with the admin token, unless UAC is allowed to be turned off

Thanx Greg!
This discussion has been closed.