• 3,873,324 Users
  • 2,266,535 Discussions
  • 7,911,506 Comments

Discussions

GG on Physical Standby database

827024 Member Posts: 4
edited Mar 3, 2011 12:53PM in GoldenGate
Hi All,

Could anyone please let me know whether we can create extract of physical standby database Archive logs? This is oracle 9i physical standby database and I want to configure the primary extracts on standby database instead of primary production database. Also please consider that this standby database is always in recovery mode in mount stage. Is this possible?

Thanks in Advance.
Raghav

Answers

• stevencallan
    stevencallan Member Posts: 3,459
    edited Feb 23, 2011 3:37PM
    Run a test by creating an extract that creates an ASCII file. It's simple, you don't need to have a replicat or data pump. If you can read the ORLs of the standby, you'll pick up the statements from the redo apply. The problem, though, is that the physical standby is mounted, so any connections/queries requiring access to fixed tables is going to fail. Also, what DBLOGIN can be used to add trandata for a table?
  • user10262587
    user10262587 Member Posts: 1 Blue Ribbon
    Have you got a chance test it out whether or not you can create extract against your standby db?
    17252 Member Posts: 6
    Hi

Are you doing log shipping or are you using data guard ?

If data guard then have the database running in read only mode and then have GG read from that to do the distribution. This works very well and reduces the load on the Production machine.

GG does not support archive native log file reading.

Thanks

Ken.
  • stevencallan
    stevencallan Member Posts: 3,459
    That is incorrect. You can extract directly and only from archived redo logs if you want. GG will also read from ARLs if need be (gap resolution).
This discussion has been closed.