• 3,876,200 Users
  • 2,267,081 Discussions
  • 7,912,467 Comments

Discussions

Golden Gate Batch replication versus Data Pump Exp-Imp

837734 Member Posts: 49
edited Feb 21, 2011 12:40AM in GoldenGate
Hi
I am having one Production Server where lot of DBMS jobs for 4 to 5 hours are running after closure of business hours.

Procedure:

Time Activity

T1 DBMS jobs run
T2 DBMS jobs run
T3 For Generating Reports
T4 DBMS jobs run
T5 DBMS jobs run

For reporting purpose I wish to use another server so that it does not halt at time T3 and can go ahead for execution.

I have two solutions on hand.

(A) At time T3 start Golden Gate batch replication. After the updated data ( i.e till T2 ) is replicated start with T3 step

(B) Take incremental backup after T2 and import to Reporting Server. After backup is taken go ahead with T3.

Which solution will take lesser time ? Incremental Backup or Golden Gate batch replication ?

Thanks for your inputs.

Hiren Pandya

Best Answer

• MikeN
    MikeN Member Posts: 262 Red Ribbon
    edited Feb 15, 2011 8:48AM Answer ✓
    GoldenGate is not a 'batch replication' tool. It is a continuous real-time catpure & apply tool. If you try to use it for 'batch' replication, you're not only making life difficult for yourself, but you are also seriously limiting its potential.

If you have two servers, a production server "A" and a reporting server "B", then just turn on GoldenGate replication all the time; e.g., using your example (replicating from server A to server B):

=Time Activity=
    T1' (was T3) Start GG (A->B) For Generating Reports off of "B"
    T2' (was T1) DBMS jobs run
    T3' (was T2) DBMS jobs run
    T4' (was T3) -> wait for "lag" from A to B to be zero -> can generate reports. (Optionally turn off GG while the reports are being run.)
    T5' (was T4) DBMS jobs run (GG can continue replicating at any time...)
    T6' (was T5) DBMS jobs run

Note that if GG is running continuously from time=T1', then by the time you get to T4', you are probably only going to need a few seconds or a few minutes before the reporting instance is caught up ("lag = 0"). If you want to report off of server B without the results of the DBMS jobs (T5' and T6'), then just pause replication until you are done running reports. You can turn back on replication at any time -- no data will be lost, since GG always picks back up from where it left off.

(Hopefully I've understood the problem correctly.)

Cheers,
    -m

Answers

• MikeN
    MikeN Member Posts: 262 Red Ribbon
    edited Feb 15, 2011 8:48AM Answer ✓
    GoldenGate is not a 'batch replication' tool. It is a continuous real-time catpure & apply tool. If you try to use it for 'batch' replication, you're not only making life difficult for yourself, but you are also seriously limiting its potential.

If you have two servers, a production server "A" and a reporting server "B", then just turn on GoldenGate replication all the time; e.g., using your example (replicating from server A to server B):

=Time Activity=
    T1' (was T3) Start GG (A->B) For Generating Reports off of "B"
    T2' (was T1) DBMS jobs run
    T3' (was T2) DBMS jobs run
    T4' (was T3) -> wait for "lag" from A to B to be zero -> can generate reports. (Optionally turn off GG while the reports are being run.)
    T5' (was T4) DBMS jobs run (GG can continue replicating at any time...)
    T6' (was T5) DBMS jobs run

Note that if GG is running continuously from time=T1', then by the time you get to T4', you are probably only going to need a few seconds or a few minutes before the reporting instance is caught up ("lag = 0"). If you want to report off of server B without the results of the DBMS jobs (T5' and T6'), then just pause replication until you are done running reports. You can turn back on replication at any time -- no data will be lost, since GG always picks back up from where it left off.

(Hopefully I've understood the problem correctly.)

Cheers,
    -m
    837734 Member Posts: 49
    Hi
    Thanks for clearing my mis conception. Your point is correct. I should set up continous replication.

I hope to achieve "Zero" lag time.

Thanks

Hiren Pandya
This discussion has been closed.