• 3,728,006 Users
  • 2,245,516 Discussions
  • 7,853,238 Comments

Discussions

Error message after PL/SQL page process

859740 Member Posts: 6
edited May 2011 in APEX Discussions
Hi,

I've a function in a package which returns a BOOLEAN. I want to use it in a PL/SQL page process like this:

begin
if not my_package.my_function(my_variable) then
null; -- message
end if;
end;

I would like to use the result of my function to display one of the pre-defined messages: "Process success message" or the "Process Error Message".

To solve this, I think I need to assign a value to a global variable which tells APEX what the result of executing my "Process Source" was. Right?

At first I tried this with exceptions in the function, and an exception in de "process source". But after raising these exception the "process error message" also appears. But I would like to use (only) the "build-in"-messages..... Easier to translate...

Thanks.

Answers

• Nico Martens
    Nico Martens Member Posts: 219
    We solved this problem an exception clause. This way your process will always succeed and the apex error page will never occure...

So do something like

Application Item : AI_MESSAGE

Pl/sql process
    begin
    <some code>
    exception
    when others then
    :AI_MESSAGE := 'Error Occured';
    end;

And in you process success message you put: &AI_MESSAGE.

This will give you your error but the downside of this implementation is that you will lose your real error... But even these things can be worked around
    (hint: :AI_MESSAGE := dbms_utility.format_error_stack() || dbms_utility.format_error_backtrace;)

Hope this helps

Br,

Nico
    Is AI_MESSAGE a predefined (available) variable or do I have to define it somewhere (where?) first?

Because the error I get is....:

Unexpected error, unable to find item name at application or page level.
    Error ERR-1002 Unable to find item ID for item "AI_MESSAGE" in application "104".

When I do this:

begin
    if not mw4bwt.mwa_form.f_auto(:P6_USERID_MED) then
    :AI_MESSAGE := 'NOT OK';
    else
    :AI_MESSAGE := 'OK';
    end if;
    end;
    edited May 2011
    I Googled a little and was able to create the AI_MESSAGE as an application item (Shared Components, Application Items).

My success-message of my page is *&AI_MESSAGE* and that's exactly the message I get on the screen, after executing the process...: *&AI_MESSAGE*.

I was expecting that the &ID_MESSAGE woud by substituted for some text of my own.

Edited by: 856737 on May 5, 2011 1:46 PM
  • fac586
    fac586 Senior Technical Architect Member Posts: 19,543 Black Diamond
    Confirm that the <tt>&&AI_MESSAGE.</tt> substitution string has a terminating dot ("."): this is required using the static text exact substitution method to reference the value of an APEX item. (It's not clear from your post.)
    I missed the dot (.) in Nico's example.

Sorry, and thanks, it works a explained in this threat.

But I'm still wondering how I can use the predefined "Error message" in combination with a PL/SQL procedure.... What's the user of the possibility to fill in an errormessage anyway if I can't display this message if the procedure fails...?
This discussion has been closed.