Forum Stats

• 3,826,865 Users
  • 2,260,714 Discussions
  • 7,897,108 Comments

Discussions

FRM-40200, Field Protected From Update, but it's not!

821529 Member Posts: 30
edited May 16, 2011 4:38PM in Forms
In version 6 I'm getting an FRM-40200 error on a field that is, as far as I can tell, updatable. I added the following to the WHEN-MOUSE-DOUBLE-CLICK trigger & it returns True at the same time as the error occurs.

message(get_item_property('fieldname',UPDATE_ALLOWED));

So the user is allowed to update the field except that it's protected from update. I've checked the block properties & that's also updatable, any other suggestions please?

Best Answer

• CraigB
    CraigB Member Posts: 5,746
    Answer ✓
    I've checked the block properties & that's also updatable, any other suggestions please?
    Sorry, I missed this in your first post. I'd have to agree with IQ then, search for code that set's the block or item to non-updatable.

Craig...

Answers

• CraigB
    An item will also inherit the property from the Block. Is your block Updatable?

Hope this helps,
    Craig B-)

If someone's response is helpful or correct, please mark it accordingly.
  • IQ
    IQ Member Posts: 753 Bronze Badge
    Do a search for the Itemname in the form and see if there any other triggers or code that may be causing this.
    As I stated, the block is updatable.

There is a trigger that disables the field under some circumstances but not only do those circumstances not occur but also according to help that sets UPDATE_ALLOWED to False yet the message says UPDATE_ALLOWED is True.

That, to me, is the real mystery-what generates the FRM-40200 error when UPDATE_ALLOWED is True?
  • CraigB
    Answer ✓
    I've checked the block properties & that's also updatable, any other suggestions please?
    Sorry, I missed this in your first post. I'd have to agree with IQ then, search for code that set's the block or item to non-updatable.

Craig...
    Thanks. It did turn out to be code making the block non-updatable. I changed Get_Item_Property to Get_Block_Property & found that was False, then searching for the block name gave me the procedure that disabled that. Searching for that procedure gave me the procedure that called that, and searching for that procedure finally gave me the trigger that was calling it, proving that this was, in fact the problem. But as long as I was looking for the item I couldn't find it.
This discussion has been closed.