Forum Stats

• 3,784,408 Users
  • 2,254,935 Discussions
  • 7,880,809 Comments

Discussions

Where to download JSTL library exactly?

919944 Member Posts: 47
edited Mar 10, 2012 11:58AM in JavaServer Pages (JSP) and JSTL
I am really confused. JSTL 1.0/1.1 can be downloaded from Apache website, while JSTL 1.2 is only downloadable from jstl.java.net???

Answers

• gimbal2
    gimbal2 Member Posts: 11,949 Gold Trophy
    edited Mar 9, 2012 9:15AM
    JSTL is an API. What you can download from the Apache website is an implementation of that API. Apparently they don't offer JSTL 1.2 as a separate download, but it is part of Apache Tomcat 7 for example. Much like the page you link to is the implementation that is delivered as part of Glassfish.

This is no different from for example the servlet-api and the jsp-api. You don't download implementations for those APIs either, they are part of the servlet container / application server.
    919944 Member Posts: 47
    gimbal2 wrote:
    JSTL is an API. What you can download from the Apache website is an implementation of that API. Apparently they don't offer JSTL 1.2 as a separate download, but it is part of Apache Tomcat 7 for example. Much like the page you link to is the implementation that is delivered as part of Glassfish.
    I still doubt about Tomcat 7 has JSTL jar files, as I am looking at the server lib folder, there is no jstl-xxx.jar files, but it has el-xxx.jar files. In addition, when I create a new project in Eclipse for serlvet 3.0 with Tomcat 7 as server runtime, I still have to import jstl-xxx.jar files from outside. What could be missing?

This is no different from for example the servlet-api and the jsp-api. You don't download implementations for those APIs either, they are part of the servlet container / application server.
    That's true. I known it already.
This discussion has been closed.