Discussions

Sybase ASA 12 JDBC connection

944309 Member Posts: 1
edited May 21, 2013 9:22AM in SQL Developer
Hi All

I am struggling to connect to a Sybase ASA 12 database using the following:

Oracle SQL Developer Version 3.1.07
Third party JDBC driver : jtds-1.2.5.jar

Implementing the JDBC driver did present me with the Sybase tab when adding new connections, however I am unsuccessful with all combination of hostname and ports tried.

Can I confirm that this connection is supported and compatible?

The error that I am constantly presented with is:

"Status : Failure -Login failed" - Although I have tried a number of username / passwords

Regards

Edited by: 941306 on 18-Jun-2012 04:46

Answers

• Kgronau-Oracle
    Kgronau-Oracle Posts: 2,550 Employee
    Just to clarify, you are talking about Sybase ASA - Sybase SQl Anywhere, aren't you?

Unfortunately Sybase ASA isn't supported by SQl Developer, please have a look at the release notes (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/sqldev31-ea-relnotes-487612.html) which state:
    SQL Developer supports IBM DB2 UDB LUW , Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Access, MySQL, Sybase Adaptive Server and Teradata. See Supported Platforms for details on all third party database releases supported.
  • Robert Huber
    Robert Huber Member Posts: 180 Blue Ribbon
    Hi

This seems to be an old post. I also would like to connect the Oracle Data Modeler to the SQL Anywhere 12.0.1 database. Is this possible? And if so, where to find the JDBC driver?

Thanks a lot, Robert
  • thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 8,529 Employee
    Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler is a different story than Oracle SQL Developer. Go get yourself a JDBC driver (check with Sybase first) and use the JDBC connection page when you go to do a data dictionary import...you'll have to lie and say that the database type is 'SQL Server' - and even that might not work.

We don't support that platform in the modeler, so if it doesn't work, sorry.
  • Robert Huber
    Thanks

Where do i foind this JDBC connection page you are mentioning at/before? importing the Data Dictionary?
  • Robert Huber
    Hi Jeff

I really would like to connect to the SQL Anywhere database. Is there a chance you are going to support it?
    Can I make a request for it, where?

Thanks for your help, Robert
  • thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    There are no existing plans to add support for that platform in the Modeler.

Existing priority is Oracle platform first, additional support for DB2 and SQL Server as time allows.

You can submit your request formally to MOS or informally at our exchange
    sqldeveloper.oracle.com

The JDBC connector page - yes, that's on the Import Data Dictionary Dialog - where you go to connect to a database.
  • Robert Huber
    Jeff

I got some help in the Sybase forum and someone (Jeff Albion) was able to connect via the JDBC tab (File > Import > Data Dictionary and then Add button on the Data Dictionary Import Wizzard) and then selecting the JDBC tab (New / Select Database Connection) and entering the corresponding data. That was on Windows.
    Problem is I do not get the JDBC tab. What are the conditions to get this JDBC tab? I am pretty sure if I get this tab the connection will work.

Any help or hints are very much appreciated.
  • thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    Are you still using version 3.1? That's pretty old now. I would recommend upgrading to version 3.3

Also, are you on a Mac? That's a known issue and also has a working solution.
  • Robert Huber
    edited May 1, 2013 6:49AM
    I am using the current ODM version 3.3.0-747, not the old version 3.1.

Of course I am keenly interested in what the working solution for the Mac OS X is to get the JDBC tab in the New / Select Database Connection dialog window? Could you please help or point me to the solution?

Thanks a lot, Robert

Edited by: Robert Huber on May 1, 2013 3:49 AM
  • Robert Huber
    Jeff

I would very much appreciate if you could tell about the work around, thanks a lot.
This discussion has been closed.