• 7,900,132 Comments

Discussions

Fixed size of BLOB report column

Spooky
Spooky Member Posts: 46 Blue Ribbon
edited Dec 19, 2012 10:35AM in APEX Discussions
Hi!

Apex 4.0.2 version, Theme 1

I am trying to set fixed size of inline blob image column showing in classic report. So, whatever size of image is saved in the table, I want to show it at fixed size. And if there is no image corresponding to the row, then that empty space should stay also.

I hope you understand the question...

Thanks!
Tagged:
HaloCu

Best Answer

• fac586
    fac586 Senior Technical Architect Member Posts: 21,093 Red Diamond
    edited Dec 19, 2012 10:15AM Answer ✓
    Spooky wrote:
    Thanks!

It's not working.

What do you mean by table header ID of the image column? Is that column heading, i.e. column name?
    Specifically, the value of the <tt>id</tt> attribute in the column's <tt>th</tt> element:
    <th id="PHOTO" class="header">...</th>
    which can be seen using a web inspector or by viewing the page source. Usually this is the column alias ( not the column heading) used in the query and shown in the report Column Attributes.

Answers

• Keith Malay
    Keith Malay Member Posts: 84
    Request a workspace at apex.oracle.com and import your application there. Post a link to your application here once you're done.

Should take no time at all. Once done, I'll login and take a look.

Keith Malay
  • fac586
    Spooky wrote:

Apex 4.0.2 version, Theme 1

I am trying to set fixed size of inline blob image column showing in classic report. So, whatever size of image is saved in the table, I want to show it at fixed size.
    Images can be resized using CSS. Add a style sheet in the page HTML Header property:
    <style>
    td[headers="IMAGE"] img {
      display: block;
      width: 75px;
      border: 1px solid #999;
      padding: 6px;
      background: #f6f6f6;
    }
    </style>
    where the <tt>IMAGE</tt> value in the attribute selector is the table header ID of the image column. Setting only one dimension (in this case the width) scales the image with the correct aspect ratio.

However, if the original images are large then scaling them in the browser this way is a huge waste of bandwidth and produces poorer quality images than creating proper scaled down versions using image tools. Downloading megapixel images and then reducing them to thumbnail size results in pointlessly pushing millions of bytes that will never be seen.

For improved performance and image quality, and where you require image-specific scaling the best approach is to use the database ORDImage object to produce images of the required size automatically. (Note that this is not possible in Oracle XE as Multimedia is not included.)
    And if there is no image corresponding to the row, then that empty space should stay also.
    That depends on what you mean by "that empty space", and on the method used to display the image. Provide more details, or an example on apex.oracle.com.
    HaloCufac586
  • Spooky
    Thanks!

It's not working.

What do you mean by table header ID of the image column? Is that column heading, i.e. column name?
  • fac586
    edited Dec 19, 2012 10:15AM Answer ✓
    Spooky wrote:
    Thanks!

It's not working.

Specifically, the value of the <tt>id</tt> attribute in the column's <tt>th</tt> element:
    <th id="PHOTO" class="header">...</th>
    which can be seen using a web inspector or by viewing the page source. Usually this is the column alias ( not the column heading) used in the query and shown in the report Column Attributes.
  • Spooky
    Ok, I get it now and it's working.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.