• 2,266,676 Discussions
  • 7,911,721 Comments

Discussions

ORA-01002 Fetching out of sequence

user501676
user501676 Member Posts: 21
edited Mar 16, 2013 8:53AM in SQL & PL/SQL
Dear All,
While fetching the data, application is getting ORA-01002 Fetching out of sequence error.That table is contain around 20million records,and its taking 2 hr time and end of the session its showing error.Please suggest me how can I resolve the issue.One thing i can't understand this is Development issue or Database issue.Please anybody help me ASAP.

Regards,
Praveen K
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Hoek
    Hoek Member Posts: 16,087 Gold Crown
    Answer ✓
    One thing i can't understand this is Development issue or Database issue.
    It is a Development issue. Your coders made a mistake.
    Here are some 'common situations' that will lead to that error:
    http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:546822742166

Answers

• Hi,

ORA-01002: fetch out of sequence

Cause: This error means that a fetch has been attempted from a cursor which is no longer valid. Note that a PL/SQL cursor loop implicitly does fetches, and thus may also cause this error. There are a number of possible causes for this error, including:
    1) Fetching from a cursor after the last row has been retrieved and the ORA-1403 error returned.
    2) If the cursor has been opened with the FOR UPDATE clause, fetching after a COMMIT has been issued will return the error.
    3) Rebinding any placeholders in the SQL statement, then issuing a fetch before reexecuting the statement.

Action:
    1) Do not issue a fetch statement after the last row has been retrieved - there are no more rows to fetch.
    2) Do not issue a COMMIT inside a fetch loop for a cursor that has been opened FOR UPDATE.
    3) Reexecute the statement after rebinding, then attempt to fetch again.
    Chanchal Wankhade
  • Hoek
    Hoek Member Posts: 16,087 Gold Crown
    Answer ✓
    One thing i can't understand this is Development issue or Database issue.
    It is a Development issue. Your coders made a mistake.
    Here are some 'common situations' that will lead to that error:
    http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:546822742166
This discussion has been closed.