• 3,770,163 Users
  • 2,253,079 Discussions
  • 7,875,352 Comments

Discussions

Index partition compression and licensing

Jeff'
Jeff' Member Posts: 4 Red Ribbon
edited Aug 14, 2013 9:50PM in General Database Discussions

Hi, I would like to use index partition compression on a 11.1.0.7 instance. Before planning on doing it, I want to know if there is a license to buy for this.

Can someone tell me ?

Thanks in advance.

Tagged:
authid_current_user

Best Answer

• Hemant K Chitale
    Hemant K Chitale Member Posts: 15,759 Blue Diamond
    Accepted Answer

I believe that it is bundled with the Enterprise Edition.  (Advanced Compression for tables is a separately priced Option).

However, you should read Oracle Support Note : Rebuilding a Partitioned Index Specifying Compression Raises Ora-28659 (Doc ID 312843.1)

"In order to compress a single partition, first re-create the index as compressed, then alter the partition(s) that you don't want compressed to nocompress."

Hemant K Chitale

authid_current_user

Answers

• Hemant K Chitale
    Accepted Answer

I believe that it is bundled with the Enterprise Edition.  (Advanced Compression for tables is a separately priced Option).

However, you should read Oracle Support Note : Rebuilding a Partitioned Index Specifying Compression Raises Ora-28659 (Doc ID 312843.1)

"In order to compress a single partition, first re-create the index as compressed, then alter the partition(s) that you don't want compressed to nocompress."

Hemant K Chitale

authid_current_user
  • Jeff'
    Jeff' Member Posts: 4 Red Ribbon

Thank you Hemant K Chitale !

Reply from Oracle (confirms what you said) :

Hello

Hope you are doing fine.

The SR has been assigned to 'Partitioning team'.My name is 'Shivata' and will be working with you on this issue.

Regarding your query:

Basic compression is free to use.However if advanced compression is used,it needs extra cost.

Basic Compression clause can be specified with following options:

1) NOCOMPRESS - The table,partition or materialized view is not compressed. This is the default action when no compression clause is specified.

2) COMPRESS - This option is considered suitable for data warehouse systems. Compression is enabled on the table or partition during direct-path inserts only.

3) COMPRESS FOR DIRECT_LOAD OPERATIONS - This option has the same affect as the simple COMPRESS keyword.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks & Regards
    Shivata

• Hemant K Chitale

All of these  relate to *Table* compression, not Index Partition.  I hope you've read the Oracle Support Note I suggested.

Basic Compression clause can be specified with following options:

1) NOCOMPRESS - The table,partition or materialized view is not compressed. This is the default action when no compression clause is specified.

2) COMPRESS - This option is considered suitable for data warehouse systems. Compression is enabled on the table or partition during direct-path inserts only.

3) COMPRESS FOR DIRECT_LOAD OPERATIONS - This option has the same affect as the simple COMPRESS keyword.

Hemant K Chitale

This discussion has been closed.