Forum Stats

• 3,826,542 Users
  • 2,260,663 Discussions
  • 7,896,990 Comments

Discussions

Does oracle support TRANSACTION_READ_UNCOMMITTED level?

426225 Member Posts: 3
I am using oc4j drivers with jdbc for oracle 9i
I could not set the transaction isolation level to TRANSACTION_READ_UNCOMMITTED.

Does oracle support this transaction level ?
(SQL Server support it)

Here is the stack trace of the error:

java.sql.SQLException: READ_COMMITTED et SERIALIZABLE sont les seuls niveaux de transaction valides
java.sql.SQLException: READ_COMMITTED et SERIALIZABLE sont les seuls niveaux de transaction valides
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:134)
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:179)
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:269)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.setTransactionIsolation(OracleConnection.java:1681)

Thanks for any help...

Comments

• Avi Abrami
    Avi Abrami Member Posts: 2,218
    Mahmoud,
    The error message, you have posted, seems very clear -- the only valid values are READ_COMMITTED and SERIALIZABLE. This is also documented in the "Oracle9i JDBC Developer’s Guide and Reference", chapter 19 [Coding Tips and Troubleshooting], in the section entitled "Transaction Isolation Levels and Access Modes". Here is an excerpt:

the Oracle server supports only the TRANSACTION_READ_
    COMMITTED and TRANSACTION_SERIALIZABLE transaction isolation levels

As someone who moved from Oracle to Informix, I can tell you from my experience, that different RDBMS's have the same functions, but each works differently. So while you probably needed to use the TRANSACTION_READ_UNCOMMITTED isolation level with "SQL Server", you don't need it for Oracle.

What you need to do is forget how you do things with "SQL Server", and learn how to do things the Oracle way. As you have seen, trying to transfer "SQL Server" code to Oracle doesn't always work.

The Oracle documentation is available from

http://tahiti.oracle.com

Good Luck,
    Avi.
This discussion has been closed.