• 2,246,853 Discussions
  • 7,856,964 Comments

Discussions

pl/sql interview questions

bandarupalli
bandarupalli Member Posts: 4
edited October 2013 in SQL & PL/SQL

Thanks in advance

1.. what is mutating table error? how can you solve that problem?

i think using instead of triggers we can do that.. is it?

2. can we create a public synonym of our own object without entering sysdba account?

i think no.. is it?

3. suppose i have a procedure which had a bunch of queries, among them say 3 queries are using more resources then how can we track them?

i dont know how to do that without writing explain_plan individually... please tell me

4. will the snapshot of data will be stored in the RAM , where will it be stored exactly.

yes it will be stored on RAM upto 10000 rows, after that it will fetches next set of rows.

5. how to delete 100 tables or 100000 tables' data from the schema without writing delete statement for no.of times. write an sql statement to do that job.

sql> delete from (select table_name from user_tables where ....);

6. suppose an error occured in the execution of procedure in the for loop body what will be happened? if the error occured, how to continue the program without exiting. write an example.

i think if we put the loop in embedded block, then the error will be handled by respective exception_handler of that block and cursor passed to the next block then program runs smoothly.

Hoekbandarupalli34MCA2K2Billy VerreynnePurvesh KChris HuntAshu_Neoranit B

Answers

• Hoek
    Hoek Member Posts: 16,076 Gold Crown

Just use the search box on the upper left on this page: Oracle Database Online Documentation 11g Release 2 (11.2)

• Frank Kulash
    Frank Kulash Member, Moderator Posts: 40,496 Red Diamond

Hi,

Post your answers, and specific questions about them.  (For example, if you're not sure what the question means, or how to find the answer, or if your answer really applies to all situations).

Let's take the last question you posted, for example:
    "39. how many hints are there provided by oracle?"

You might wonder if they really expect an exact number, or if an approximation is good enough.  You might not know which manual contains the answer, or what keyword(s) to look up in the index to find the answer.

• SomeoneElse
    SomeoneElse Member Posts: 14,866 Silver Crown

> please give me the answers for all.

You're kidding, right?

• Chris Hunt
    Chris Hunt Member Posts: 2,066 Gold Trophy
    Please give me the answers for all.

Sure. Please give me all the money you get from the job, since it's me that'll be answering all the interview questions.

• SomeoneElse

Actually, if I were to present these questions to a potential candidate the answer I'd want to hear is "wow, what a bunch of shitty questions".

HoekBilly VerreynneAshu_Neo
  • Frank Kulash
    edited October 2013

Hi,

SomeoneElse wrote:

Actually, if I were to present these questions to a potential candidate the answer I'd want to hear is "wow, what a bunch of shitty questions".

Not entirely.

Some certainly are poor questions. Some require clarification; they might have meant something reasonable.

Some aren't bad interview questions.  For example:

"6. what is mutating table error? how can you solve that problem?"

I think this question is okay.  It is a common enough problem; and there are different ways (some good, some terrible) to deal with the problem.  How the candidate answers this question can tell you a lot about the candidate's experience and intelligence.

• Hoek
    Hoek Member Posts: 16,076 Gold Crown

Yup, most of those questions are outdated, from the previous century, or badly phrased....now "shall we create a table in the procedure"?

• Mike Kutz
    Mike Kutz Member Posts: 5,588 Silver Crown
    edited October 2013

SomeoneElse

I partly agree with you, but I'd be more interested in hearing the person's reason on why they are bad questions.

On the other hand, if a person with zero(0) knowledge asks the questions, the local guru can then judge the candidate's capability of communicating Oracle concepts (to others) based on how much the interviewee has learned.

In that sense, the questions are perfect.

(except some of the syntax related ones)

MK

bandarupalli
  • bandarupalli

yes these bunch of shitty questions are been asked by the interviewers....

because people like me are kids and people like you are dinosaurs in sql,pl/sql i thought...

but this is the platform which is connecting masters like you and learners like me so i'm requesting you to get answered ....

please help us .. if you can...

thanks in advance

• SomeoneElse

>  learners like me so i'm requesting you to get answered ....

OK, but are you really interested in learning or just memorizing some answers to get through the next interview?

• bandarupalli

i wanna know them not answers but the concepts ....

reading some hundreds of pages is different to get explained..

i thought it was the right platform to learn, it is not big deal of interview but they are not getting satisfied with my answers because i have to learn something else not from books...

thats why i put almost all questions( even silly ones)

Thankyou

• Frank Kulash
    edited October 2013

Hi,

This forum is a great place for people to ask questions and get them answered.  That doesn't mean it's the best place to get all questions answered.  Forums like this work best for specific, focused questions.  I gave some examples earlier of some specific, focused things you might ask about those interview questions.  "Answer these 39 questions." isn't a specific, focused question.   For one thing, it invites answers that cover things you already know, and don't help with what you need to learn.  Some examples of specific focused questions that can help you learn are:

• "When they ask ... do they mean ... or do they mean  ...?"
    • "For this interview question ...is this a good answer: ...?  I'm not confident about ..."
    • "How would I find the answer to ...?  What buzzwords whould I look for?"
    • "For this interview question ... I looked up ... where it says...  Is that right?  It seems wrong to me because ..."
    • "Why would they ask something like ... on an interview?  Are they looking for an aswere such as ...?"
    • "Where can I learn more about ...?  I tried ... but ..."

Most people who answer questions on this forum are interested in helping you learn.  "If you give a man he fish, he will eat for a single day.  If you show him how to fish, he may eat for a lifetime."  Many people whould add "If you beat him over the head with a fish, he'll quit asking you for handouts."

bandarupalliFrank Kulash
  • Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Member Posts: 28,267 Red Diamond
    bandarupalli wrote:

yes these bunch of shitty questions are been asked by the interviewers....
    because people like me are kids and people like you are dinosaurs in sql,pl/sql i thought...
    but this is the platform which is connecting masters like you and learners like me so i'm requesting you to get answered ....
    please help us .. if you can...

thanks in advance

The questions are shitty because.. well they are. They do not measure PL/SQL or Oracle expertise in any way. Here's my answers to a few of these interview questions.

5. what is the third parameter of the raise_application_error()?

Look it up in the fricken manual idiot. Besides. not wrapping a system call like that in an application wrapper is the problem.

6. what is mutating table error? how can you solve that problem?

The problem is solved by putting brain in gear before doing a physical database design of the logical data model, instead of using triggers as sticky tape to glue [email protected] together.

27. shall we create a table in the package?

Yes we can - as all packages are not application interfaces and an API can be a system level API and deal with data management. There are no such rule of "Thou shalt not use DDL in PL/SQL", except for in the mind of the ignorant.

And this is why the questions are shitty. It pretend to measure expertise, but are horribly flawed as these questions are based on assumptions and exceptions, and presuppositions, with a poor understanding of what technical expertise is, and a very limited understanding of actual Oracle technologies.

In other words, these are random interview questions pulled from blogs about Oracle and Oracle related problems - and not even good blogs... (never mind using the fricken Concepts Guide to probe the understanding of the person being interviewed of Oracle fundamentals).

I would not take kindly to being asked such questions in an interview.

Purvesh K
  • BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 40,986 Red Diamond

Billy, you're hired!

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Member Posts: 28,267 Red Diamond

The single most critical question - what is the availability of filter coffee at workplace like? And if not 99.9999% during the hours of 6AM to 4PM, then no thanks.

• BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 40,986 Red Diamond

Each department has it's own kitchen so you can make whatever drinks you like for yourself.

Plus the canteen has a Costa (lotta) Coffee facility. 

Me personally, I'm not a coffee drinker. 

This discussion has been closed.