• 2,260,638 Discussions
  • 7,896,916 Comments

Discussions

TNSPING ON LOCALHOST VERY SLOW

user10434575
user10434575 Member Posts: 2
edited Nov 21, 2013 3:55AM in General Database Discussions

Hi there,

I have a question. Last week I had to restart my Oracle Linux 5 server with Oracle DB 11.2.0.1.0 database and since the restart I have problems connecting to the database. The connections gets timedout a lot. It was working perfect before the restart.

I tried tnsping on several clients and the time gets more then 2000 ms in many tries. I tried this directly on the server and got the same results. It's not all the time, it keeps working great for a minute or two, and then it has issues.

I use IP host names in TNSNAMES. not hostnames, so DNS resolving should not be the problem..

Please help, thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• sb92075
    sb92075 Member Posts: 42,196 Blue Diamond
    user10434575 wrote:

Hi there,
    I have a question. Last week I had to restart my Oracle Linux 5 server with Oracle DB 11.2.0.1.0 database and since the restart I have problems connecting to the database. The connections gets timedout a lot. It was working perfect before the restart.
    I tried tnsping on several clients and the time gets more then 2000 ms in many tries. I tried this directly on the server and got the same results. It's not all the time, it keeps working great for a minute or two, and then it has issues.

I use IP host names in TNSNAMES. not hostnames, so DNS resolving should not be the problem..

Please help, thanks!

Oracle depends upon the OS for any & all packet exchange.

Oracle is the victim; not the culprit.

Root cause is OS/Networking mis-configuration.

problem & fix are external to Oracle

• Thanks, but how to find out what causes the problem. Nothing was changed, just a simple restart.

The server is a vmware based virtual machine.

If there would be network problems, why is the time so big even local?

tnx!

• sb92075
    sb92075 Member Posts: 42,196 Blue Diamond
    user10434575 wrote:

Thanks, but how to find out what causes the problem. Nothing was changed, just a simple restart.
    The server is a vmware based virtual machine.

If there would be network problems, why is the time so big even local?

tnx!

>Nothing was changed

If nothing really changed, then behavior would be the same.

Since behavior is different, then by definition SOMETHING has CHANGED!

• Obviously, if tnsping is 'too slow', you should use ordinary Linux ping to the node.

If you are really using only localhost and you have hardcoded it, response should be immediately.

You could easily have an incorrect IP address as gateway, and/or a wrong network mask, forcing your packet to leave your system.

All of that, of course, has nothing to do with Oracle, and should be addressed in a Linux forum, not here.

-----------

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA

• Fahd.Mirza
    Fahd.Mirza Member Posts: 2,984 Bronze Trophy

Hello,

Please look at DTRACE utility to identify where the performance bottleneck is. Please see the following article and see if that helps you.

How to Get Started Using DTrace on Oracle Linux

regards

Fahd

• smon
    smon Member Posts: 606 Bronze Badge
    edited Nov 21, 2013 3:55AM

you could try a tnsping trace, add the following lines to your sqlnet file before doing a tnsping.

TNSPING.TRACE_LEVEL = 16

TNSPING.TRACE_DIRECTORY = <some directory>

you may find some clues in the output as to why it's so slow.

This discussion has been closed.