On January 27th, this site will be read-only as we migrate to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 30th, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,889,597 Users
  • 2,269,761 Discussions
  • 7,916,789 Comments

Discussions

Do I need to install Spring framework separately for my Eclipse?

lxiscas
lxiscas Member Posts: 276
edited Jan 14, 2014 10:29AM in New To Java

Hi, Guys:

I am completely new to Java Enterprise, and I am supposed to use Spring framework and hibernate. tools: JDK 7, Eclipse, Maven, Git, etc.

I have a question that may be silly to you guys: I want to try my first Spring project, on training video (using Spring 3.05), it asks me to download Spring framework 3.05, and I wonder if I already installed Maven plugin on my eclipse, do I have to download Spring framework? as I got a rough idea that Maven already supports Spring. However, I cannot find such a library support in my project property. Someone just said I need to follow M2E instruction, Could any one give a hint?

thanks a lot!

Sam

Answers

• Baris Yildirim
    Baris Yildirim Member Posts: 1,079
    edited Jan 9, 2014 2:56AM

You can't do that by maven plugin. Spring infrastructure has its own jar files.You should add spring jars to pom.xml and load them to your new projects,

or there are some eclipse versions which includes a spring framework.

Regards

• Baris Yildirim
    Baris Yildirim Member Posts: 1,079

Hi,

Has your problem been resolved?

Best Regards

• mahendra.yadav
    mahendra.yadav Mr. IndiaMember Posts: 12

If you are using eclipse standalone (i.e. not using String STS) then you should first install plugin for String, compatible to your eclipse version

for e.g. you can download spring plugin for Eclipse Indigo from http://dist.springsource.com/release/TOOLS/update/e3.7/

Then create a new Spring (optionally maven based) project.

• gimbal2
    gimbal2 Senior software engineer NetherlandsMember Posts: 11,949 Gold Trophy
    edited Jan 14, 2014 10:30AM

Why would that be a solution to this particular problem? A plugin MIGHT make your life easier in the end if it works properly, if you know how to use the framework it manages. It is perfectly possible to use Spring in a Java project, regardless of tooling, without having to install anything. The only thing you need is the proper jars like is the case for any API, toolkit, framework or whatever in Java land; you need to at least understand how to work with libraries/jars before you can start to work with frameworks like Spring.

And how you get the proper jars - that's a task that lies with the developer, not the tool. I would use Maven myself, that makes it really easy to manage the dependencies (especially upgrading to new versions) once you get over the hump of setting up the poms once. And then for future projects it becomes a matter of copy/pasting the poms. But reading the very extensive and complete Spring documentation and then manually downloading the required jars and adding them the your project's build classpath is also a valid option. Eclipse has a built-in help which explains just fine how to manage libraries in a project.

This discussion has been closed.