On January 27th, this site will be read-only as we migrate to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 30th, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,889,629 Users
  • 2,269,769 Discussions
  • 7,916,800 Comments

Discussions

Has Windows 2012 R2 been certified with Java 7 -- minimum version?

user1586995
user1586995 Senior Software EngineerMassachusetts, USAMember Posts: 1
edited Jan 12, 2014 7:39PM in New To Java

Hello,

Sorry if this is the wrong area, but could not figure the best place in the forum for this question. When I look at the official system certification page from Oracle for JDK/JRE 7, I see that Windows Server 2012 has been certified with 1.7.0_10.  There is no mention in the document for what version to use with Windows Server 2012 R2.  Is the OS still in the process of being certified with Java?  Is the certified version (which I'm guessing means the minimum) still 1.7.0_10 for R2 as well?  Does this mean that Java is not officially supported by Oracle with Windows 2012 R2?

Oracle's Java 7 System Certification page:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/config-417990.html

Thanks for all help in advance.

gimbal2

Answers

• jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Member Posts: 24,877 Gold Badge

Pretty sure that is just a general guideline.  No way to actually test all possible configurations from the point of view of Oracle.

However you should certainly test your application on the targeted system.

> Does this mean that Java is not officially supported by Oracle with Windows

My view is that Oracle doesn't really "support" anything unless you have a service contract with them.  Other than that if it works it works and if it doesn't good luck figuring out why.

gimbal2
  • Only Oracle support can answer a question about what is 'officially supported by Oracle'.

Did you notice on that page that 2008 R2 was certified. No one but Oracle knows the intention of certifying 2012 R2.

This discussion has been closed.