Forum Stats

• 3,839,332 Users
  • 2,262,484 Discussions
  • 7,900,936 Comments

Discussions

Internationalization implementation

We are implementing OracleHelp in an internationalized product. Currently we are conducting a prototype test running OracleHelp under several locales and would like to obtain the following items to speed along our test cycle:

1. Is a sample OracleHelp volume that has already been translated to Japanese available for us to download? Is the OracleHelp Authors Guide available on the Japanese Oracle web site?

2. The documentation states that the OracleHelp UI has been localized to multiple languages. Would you please provide a list of languages to which the OracleHelp UI has already been translated?

3. Please provide information about how to obtain the localized OracleHelp UI resource files (are they included in the download image of OracleHelp?).

4. Is documentation available about how to launch the localized OracleHelp user interfaces from our software product (as opposed to the English version).

Thanks,
Wendy Studinski

Comments

• 1. Is a sample OracleHelp volume that has already been translated to Japanese
    available for us to download? Is the OracleHelp Authors Guide available on
    the Japanese Oracle web site?
    We currently don't ship any localized helpsets with our Oracle Help
    OTN downloads, although it is a very appealing idea. Oracle as a
    company ships OHJ helpsets in over 30 languages with many of it's
    products. It would be nice to ship a new demo with Oracle Help
    for Java that was configured to show a localized helpset. If
    I'm able to obtain a localized helpset, I'll send it to you
    offline.
    2. The documentation states that the OracleHelp UI has been localized to multiple
    languages. Would you please provide a list of languages to which the OracleHelp
    UI has already been translated?
    Arabic
    Catalan
    Chinese (Simplified)
    Chinese (Traditional)
    Czech
    Danish
    Dutch
    English
    Finnish
    French
    French (Canadian)
    German
    Greek
    Hungarian
    Italian
    Japanese
    Korean
    Norwegian
    Polish
    Portuguese
    Portuguese (Brazilian)
    Romanian
    Russian
    Slovak
    Spanish
    Swedish
    Thai
    Turkish

One caveat here is that the embedded HTML browser does not support
    displaying bi-directional languages like Arabic, however all of the
    other languages listed here (including Chinese, Japanese,
    Thai and Korean) work fine in the embedded HTML display in addition
    to having the UI translated.
    3. Please provide information about how to obtain the localized OracleHelp UI resource
    files (are they included in the download image of OracleHelp?).
    Yes, they are included in the download. OHJ ships the resources in a separate
    JAR file (OHW includes them in the main JAR). For OHJ 4.1.12, see the following
    files:

help-nls-4_1_12.jar
    ---------------------------------
    This JAR file contains the translated resources for
    Oracle Help for Java for 28 languages. Simply put
    this file on your classpath, and the OHJ UI will
    show localized resources for different locales.

help-rsrc-4_1_12.zip
    --------------------------------
    This file contains the source files for the
    Resource Bundles, in case you want to translate
    additional languages beyond what we provide.

4. Is documentation available about how to launch the localized OracleHelp user
    interfaces from our software product (as opposed to the English version).
    All you have to do is to put help-nls-4_1_12.jar on your classpath with
    the other OHJ jars, and it will pick up the default locale of the Java
    VM (i.e. on a Windows machine with regional settings of German, it will
    show German resources). If your product has a notion of the locale that
    is separate from the default locale of the Java VM, you can specify a
    locale by calling Help.setHelpLocale() prior to creating the Help object.
    328709 Member Posts: 48

Greetings,

I work with Wendy and have additional implementation questions. I am testing on HP-UX 11.11 with LANG=ja_JP.SJIS. For our prototype, we've taken the shakespeare sample help included with the OHJ distribution. I added the file help-nls-4_1_12.jar to our classpath and now the localized Japanese user interface is displayed. My next task is to have localized text show up in the help viewer, I've added Japanese characters to the html file discovererAlas_poor_Yorick_Act_5_Scene_1.html, as well as adding the charset specification:

<!doctype HTML public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Frameset//EN">^M
    ^M
    <html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=Shift_JIS">
    <title>Alas, poor Yorick! (Act 5, Scene 1)</TITLE>
    <link rel="STYLESHEET" type="text/css" href="shakespeare.css">

</head>

Displayed with Internet Explorer, the text is...

NNNNNNNAlas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest,...

(first seven chars are the same multibyte Japanese char...)

Unfortunately, with the OHJ, the Japanese chars are boxes (non-displayable...)

In our prototype, we're setting the charset for the Help object...

public OracleWrapperImpl() {

oracle.help.Help.setHelpEncoding("Shift_JIS");
    help = new Help();

System.out.println("NOW Instantiating CSHManager");
    cshManager = new CSHManager(help);
    System.out.println("adding book");
    addBook("file:shakespeare/shakespeare.hs");
    }

Before instantiating our OracleWrapperImpl object, the default locale is ja_JP, after instantiating it, I checked both getHelpEncoding() and getHJelpLocale() for the Help object, and they return Shift_JIS and ja_JP respectively.

Is there something else missing that we need to do either in the source code or the html files? Does the character encoding need to be set in any of the .oht, .css, .hhc, .hhk, .hs or .idx files? Is there anything specific that needs to be set for the ICE browser to display the Japanese chars?

thanks for your help,

Elizabeth Dyer.
    11742 Member Posts: 8
    Elizabeth \ Wendy,

Did you receive or discover any solutions? We are experiencing all of the same problems with our Japanese OHJ. Would like to save 're-inventing the wheel'. Any assistance / examples would be gratefully received.

Regards,
    Graham Slade.
    328709 Member Posts: 48

Graham,

I was never able to get my own edited Shakespeare help to display Japanese characters, but then I found other Oracle software that had OHJ-compatible on-line help. I used those help volumes to test running OHJ under different locales. With those help volumes, I was able to display in Japanese, Simplified Chinese, German, French and English without any problems. The key is to have the help-nls-4_1_16.jar in your classpath. Our application does not have to use setHelpEncoding() method to set the character set. If that jar is in your classpath, then OHJ uses the Java locale to select the appropriate language resource bundle for that locale.

Perhaps this may be a question of the making sure the tools used to generate your help volumes correctly set the charset, etc. We are still prototyping our application, so have not any of our product help volumes yet.

regards,

Elizabeth.
This discussion has been closed.