On January 27th, this site will be read-only as we migrate to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 30th, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,889,626 Users
  • 2,269,768 Discussions
  • 7,916,798 Comments

Discussions

use of java on computer without install

2608214 Member Posts: 1
edited Feb 10, 2014 4:06AM in New To Java

Is it possible to run an application from a removable flash drive that has a copy of the jre.  I am running an application on computers that have had the install run from flash disks but can not run on machines where the installation hasn't been done.

Answers

• Is it possible to run an application from a removable flash drive that has a copy of the jre. 

Yes.

I am running an application on computers that have had the install run from flash disks but can not run on machines where the installation hasn't been done.

Thanks for sharing.

If you actually want HELP you need to post:

1. your platform and version

2. Java version

3. Java code

4. copy of EXACT command-line session you are using

5. the results you get.

• gimbal2
    gimbal2 Senior software engineer NetherlandsMember Posts: 11,949 Gold Trophy
    edited Feb 10, 2014 4:07AM

Yep, I had to do the same hackery when I was in school. Just install the JDK on another machine and then copy it to your flashdrive. You'll probably have to do some manual setup to comfortably use it though, such as manually adding the bin directory to the system's PATH so you can easily run java and javac. Something like

set PATH=%PATH%;f:\java\bin

or whatever the path to Java on your flashdrive is.

Of course when you don't do a proper install you cannot run jar's by double clicking on them, you have no browser plugins and thus can't run applets or webstart things through a browser.

This discussion has been closed.