This site is currently read-only as we are migrating to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 30th, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,889,831 Users
  • 2,269,775 Discussions
  • 7,916,823 Comments

Discussions

IE11 Keep Redirecting to Oracle Java Download Site

Topcan5
Topcan5 Member Posts: 42
edited Feb 13, 2014 5:43AM in New To Java

I am running a page that launches a Java Webstart app and a Java Applet. I don't have problem launching this page in Firefox, but I have to run it in IE11. The thing is IE11 keep redirecting me to oracle java download site. I have install Java RE like 3 times from IE already. What am I missing?

Tagged:

Answers

• I am running a page that launches a Java Webstart app and a Java Applet. I don't have problem launching this page in Firefox, but I have to run it in IE11. The thing is IE11 keep redirecting me to oracle java download site. I have install Java RE like 3 times from IE already. What am I missing?

Have you set the version of Java that you want used?

See this thread:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/71254/force-internet-explorer-to-use-a-specific-java-runtime-environment-install

• gimbal2
    gimbal2 Senior software engineer NetherlandsMember Posts: 11,949 Gold Trophy

IE 32 bits or 64 bits?

• jwenting
    jwenting Member Posts: 4,864 Gold Badge

it gets weirder. On some PCs IE (and FF) don't recognise that a JVM has been installed, leading to constant redirects to java.com to install a JVM...

Manually forcing a JVM active doesn't seem to help.

• gimbal2

Yes I've seen that too, but that usually happens when you install the "wrong" runtime. If you have a 32 bits browser (such as Firefox) and a 64 bits runtime gets installed because that is the architecture of your CPU, it still won't help Firefox. IE has the same problem because even on a 64 bits Windows OS, the default internet explorer is still 32 bits.

But given that you're far from a novice I assume that you have already checked that, so indeed weird that it would then still not work. The only other trouble I've had in the past is Firefox (or rather: Mozilla) being too restrictive and blocking the plugin without my approval.

• jwenting
    jwenting Member Posts: 4,864 Gold Badge

If FF works, he has a 32 bit plugin installed. That should mean he gets a working plugin in 32 bit IE as well. So probably he's running a 64 bit IE.

In Windows 8 that's now the standard browser (and IE11 on Win7 also defaults to the 64 bit version for 64 bit Win7, older versions would default to 32 bit IE on 64 bit Windows).

• gimbal2

Ah IE11, never did check if something changed there. For IE10 the default was still 32 bits I believe.

This discussion has been closed.