Forum Stats

• 3,875,208 Users
  • 2,266,875 Discussions
  • 7,912,110 Comments

Discussions

ORA-12505, TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor

2»

Answers

• sb92075
    sb92075 Member Posts: 42,196 Blue Diamond
    edited Mar 7, 2014 9:10AM
    1012869 wrote:

Hi,

Can you give me the steps for doing that. Am not aware of how to create the service or so. if you could help me to get through it.

Regards,
    Muraliraj S

It would be smarter if you actually used exist SERVICE_NAME

the listener log file, C:\oracle11G\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\network\admin\listener.ora, contains a line with a status value of 12505.

post this line plus the 10 lines above & below this line

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown
    1012869 wrote:

<snip> 

Can you tell me what i need to do further for resolving this issue.

It all comes back to configuring your Weblogic client to match what the listener is expecting.  I don't know anything about configuring weblogic, but I'd not be a bit surprised if it is using a jdbc thin client, and not using tnsnames.ora at all.  How DO you configure weblogic to know what database to connect to?

• sb92075
    sb92075 Member Posts: 42,196 Blue Diamond

the listener log file, C:\oracle11G\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\network\admin\listener.ora, contains a line with a status value of 12505.

post this line plus the 10 lines above & below this line

1012869 Member Posts: 9

Hi,

My listener.ora is looks like below,

# listener.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle11G\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\network\admin\listener.ora

# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

SID_LIST_LISTENER =

(SID_LIST =

(SID_DESC =

(SID_NAME = CLRExtProc)

(ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle11G\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1)

(PROGRAM = extproc)

(ENVS = "EXTPROC_DLLS=ONLY:C:\oracle11G\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\oraclr11.dll")

)

)

LISTENER =

(DESCRIPTION_LIST =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = ADMINIB-K09AMO5)(PORT = 1521))

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1521))

)

)

ADR_BASE_LISTENER = C:\oracle11G

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When i pinged as mentioned below.

C:\Users\ADMIN>tnsping ADMINIB-K09AMO5

TNS Ping Utility for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 11-MAR-2014 16:37:39

Copyright (c) 1997, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:

c:\oracle11g\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

Used HOSTNAME adapter to resolve the alias

Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION=(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=9.193.100.44)(PORT=1521)))

OK (0 msec)

Here (service_name=) empty. Is this causing that issue.?  can you please let me know. if yes, then how to update my service name here, pls let me know.

Regards,

Muraliraj S

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown
    1012869 wrote:

Hi,

My listener.ora is looks like below,

SB asked for an extract from your listener LOG.   listener.ora != listener.log

<snip>

When i pinged as mentioned below. 

C:\Users\ADMIN>tnsping ADMINIB-K09AMO5

TNS Ping Utility for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 11-MAR-2014 16:37:39

Copyright (c) 1997, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
    c:\oracle11g\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

Used HOSTNAME adapter to resolve the alias
    Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION=(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=9.193.100.44)(PORT=1521)))
    OK (0 msec)

Here (service_name=) empty. Is this causing that issue.?  can you please let me know. if yes, then how to update my service name here, pls let me know.

Well, certainly if your request get to the listener and is requesting connection to an un-specified service (service=<null>) that could be a problem. Do you walk up to the counter at McD's, and then not tell them what you want?

To fix it, you have to go to where that connection string is defined and correct the missing information.  That could be a tnsnames.or file.  Or it could be some jdbc configuration within your Websphere setup.  This was explained earlier in the thread.

Regards, Muraliraj S
This discussion has been closed.