Forum Stats

• 3,854,635 Users
  • 2,264,392 Discussions
  • 7,905,744 Comments

Discussions

Database constantly accessing disk

2650287 Member Posts: 5
edited Apr 24, 2014 5:47PM in General Database Discussions

I have an 11.1.0.7 database installed on a Win7 domain PC. I have a local admin account and the database was installed with that account. This is a development environment on my machine; it's not critical for production, but I do use it extensively to support our customers. The database started constantly accessing the disk a couple of days ago when I was importing some data.

What is the best approach to figure out what is causing the problem and then fixing it? Is there some way that I can look at a session and see what's generating all of the disk activity? I'm new to this aspect of DBA activities. I'll appreciate any suggestions.

Tagged:
spiderwoman

Answers

• spiderwoman
    spiderwoman Member Posts: 626 Silver Badge

"The database started constantly accessing the disk a couple of days ago when I was importing some data."

How do you know it wasn't accessing disk few days ago :-)

• jgarry
    jgarry Member Posts: 13,844 Gold Crown

Install statspack, configure for 1/2 hour, see what report says.  You sure it's database and not some anti virus or swapping or something?  Show SGA, tell us hardware configuration.  Is dbconsole running?

jgarry
  • sb92075
    sb92075 Member Posts: 42,196 Blue Diamond
    edited Apr 23, 2014 8:21PM

>Is there some way that I can look at a session and see what's generating all of the disk activity? I'm new to this aspect of DBA activities. I'll appreciate any suggestions.

You have posted NO evidence that the database is the source of the disk activity.

It could just Windows malware running wild.

How do I ask a question on the forums?

https://forums.oracle.com/message/9362002#9362002

• top.gun
    top.gun Member Posts: 3,666 Gold Crown

"The database started constantly accessing the disk a couple of days ago when I was importing some data"

An import will access the disk. So will usage of swap space.

How do you know there is a problem?

spiderwoman
    2650287 Member Posts: 5

Thanks for the pointers. I should be able to get all of those things done tomorrow (between customer challenges :-)).

• RobbR
    RobbR Member Posts: 102 Red Ribbon

Where did you get the information it was Oracle accessing the disks?  Did you look in the Windows Resource Monitor to see what processes it is?  As stated before, did you look to see if it is your antivirus?  I've had issues with antiviruses that are actively "protecting" my systems and I regularly have to request that they exclude Oracle datafiles from the AV's active protection and scans.

This discussion has been closed.