Forum Stats

• 3,826,885 Users
  • 2,260,721 Discussions
  • 7,897,114 Comments

Discussions

Metadata in DB

957500 Member Posts: 9
edited Jun 12, 2014 1:43AM in General Database Discussions

I have installed Oracle 10g database in my windows machine for setting up a project related internal application for data archieving. After setting up the db, as part of application installation,we deployed the application war file in the Application Server(Tomcat) webapps folder. Although the login page for the application comes, it is not accepting the Admin credentials. After lot of discussions, an opinion came to check the database whether it has data for this Admin login. How we can check a database for metadata. Can anyone help me with this. I'm totally new to this.(Already the application was running successfully on another db. We want to set the application running in the db which is installed in my machine. So changed the DBParams and ADVParams xmls in the code. )

Tagged:

Answers

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown
    957500 wrote:

I have installed Oracle 10g database in my windows machine for setting up a project related internal application for data archieving. After setting up the db, as part of application installation,we deployed the application war file in the Application Server(Tomcat) webapps folder. Although the login page for the application comes, it is not accepting the Admin credentials. After lot of discussions, an opinion came to check the database whether it has data for this Admin login. How we can check a database for metadata. Can anyone help me with this. I'm totally new to this.(Already the application was running successfully on another db. We want to set the application running in the db which is installed in my machine. So changed the DBParams and ADVParams xmls in the code. )

This is interesting on several counts.

First, you are installing an obsolete version of oracle.  Why?

Second, it appears that your problem is with your application not finding the data it is looking for.  Why is this an Oracle problem?  Is the application home-grown or purchased?  If home-grown, it seems your developers should be  able to figure out why it behaves the way it does.  If purchased, why aren't you working with the vendor?

Third, as far as your database is concerned, what you are looking for isn't meta-data.  It is merely the data your application has stored in the database.  Apparently, the data for which you installed the db in the first place.

This application login page .... I take it you are using the database to store, among other things, the credentials the application user needs to use the application.  So are the credentials being entered the credentials for the application, or credentials for the application to connect to the database?  What was the exact error that was returned?  Was there an associated error code -- something like 'ora-nnnnn)?

I think your DBParams and ADVParams xmls in the code are related to your application.  Not something oracle would know about.

• sb92075
    sb92075 Member Posts: 42,196 Blue Diamond
  • I have installed Oracle 10g database in my windows machine for setting up a project related internal application for data archieving. After setting up the db, as part of application installation,we deployed the application war file in the Application Server(Tomcat) webapps folder. Although the login page for the application comes, it is not accepting the Admin credentials. After lot of discussions, an opinion came to check the database whether it has data for this Admin login.

That is NOT a database issue - it is an application issue.

Your application startup likely loads authentication data (user names and passwords) from one or more tables in a database. You created a new database but you may not have created the schema, tables (and other objects) and data in that database that your application needs.

I'm totally new to this

Then you should be asking someone in your organization that is NOT 'totally new to this' how to install and configure your application.

There should also be project documentation that discusses how to setup the application on a new system.

First of all, thanks for your replies.

Although the version of database is outdated when compared to 11g or 12c, I dont wish to consider it as an obsolate version because applications which was developed previously with 10g is still using the same version of database. Like our application which was developed some 3 years back was working fine with the 10g XE database. Its a purely home grown tool for internal purpose. So I cant blame any vendor nor the developers.

Now a situation has came to set up the same environment in my machine. So we just need to reproduce the same environment here rather than going for an upgraded version. So only sticking to 10g.

Next, I'm not talking about an application not working on a fresh newly installed db. The initial set up for setting up the db for the application is already done in the db. This involves running sql scripts for creating user,objects and loading application metadata. Those scripts ran successfully and the changes were committed. So its not because of application data missing in the database rite?

Till this time, I havent concluded it as a database issue. I was checking in the forum to get a solution to my issue which can be a database issue. (as the forums helped me many times before during my career)

• saratpvv
    saratpvv Member Posts: 914 Gold Badge

Did you raised these question/concerns with your DBA..? - Any error did you got..? any ORA- errors..?

It didnt give any ORA error. The problem is its not establishing connection with the present db. Its still pointing to the old db which doesnt exist now.

Db parameters are changed.. SO it should point to the present db.. but its not behaving in the expected way

• saratpvv
    saratpvv Member Posts: 914 Gold Badge

It means you didn't add the tns entry of present db in you machine - Through which tool are you trying to connect the present db

Through SQL Plus.

I didnt understand why its a tns entry error.. This db is installed in my local machine..not on a seperate machine ..

This discussion has been closed.